The Protectors Chapter 10

Chapter 10

          Tobey was dreaming about lying on a beach somewhere. He could feel the cool sand in between his toes and the soothing sound of the waves crashing on the beach. Even the birds calling to one another around him were peaceful.

          He was thrown out of his dream and onto the floor after a squeal of tires and a sudden stop. He groaned and rubbed his eyes, adjusting to the brightness of the interior of the car.

          “What the heck was that?” he croaked and coughed.

          “Sorry!” Jade apologized, “The moron in front of me decided to stop really quickly, are you ok?”

          “I will be once I get this cup holder out of my kidney,” he said as he sat up and stretched, trying to get a good look of what was outside the car, “Where are we?”

          “Just about to go over the draw bridge and onto Siesta Key, you should come up here and see the boat pass,” she said, moving a coffee cup from the passenger seat to make room for him.

          Tobey crawled into the seat carefully and did up his seat belt and looked out the window at the water below, “Holy…”

          “You can roll down the window if you like, it’s nice and warm here.”

          He pressed the button on the side of the door. Warm air filled the interior of the car immediately. He could smell the light salty from the ocean, which was refreshing. “This is amazing.”

          Tobey had his head completely stuck out the window as he watched one of the yachts pass in front of him. The giant white boat had multiple decks; large black windows covered both sides and the front, leaving the back open where the balconies were.

          Once the boat passed, the bridge began going back down until it locked back into place. The car in front sped ahead to the set of lights a couple hundred feet away.

          Jade slowly crossed the bridge, a huge smile crossing her face at the sound of the car driving over the bridge, “Welcome to Siesta Key,” she said and approached the green light and turned right onto another road.

          “This is the main road of the Key, it pretty much takes you from one end to another. There are stores restaurants and of course hotels all along it.”

          Tobey stared in amazement as they drove along the road, passing signs for each little section of condos and cottages. Palm trees rose high into the sky, their palm fronds swaying in the wind. People of all ages walked along the side walks, in all sorts of clothing, carrying beach bags and towels.

          “These places all back onto a private beach, the public one is farther down the road. It’s filled with hundreds of people, so good luck getting a decent spot,” Jade said speeding up.

          “Are we on the public beach?”

          “No, the private one,” She grinned as they turned the corner, three white apartment buildings came into view, and she pointed ahead, “Those white buildings up ahead are where we are going, but we are in the condos, not the buildings.”

          Tobey looked at all the places that littered the road, on one side he could see the blue sky in between the buildings, and on the other he could see multiple trees.

          Jade slowed down as she approached the driveways. There was one on either side of the road, and she pulled into the one on the ocean side.

          He felt his heart speed up as he looked around. There were condos in the middle of the complex; they each had their own garage on the ground, while each unit was above. There was one unit on top of the other, with wooden stairs to get to the top floor. Brown and white paint covered the sides of the condos. More trees were scattered all around, green grass and flower bushes covered the grounds around the driveway.

          Jade followed the driveway around the corner, and pulled into one of the parking spots.

          Before Tobey could blink, she was out of the car and calling to him to hurry up.

          “I’m coming, geez for someone who hasn’t slept you sure have a lot of energy,” he laughed as he slung his bag over his shoulder, grabbing the two bags of clothes and Jades bag in the process.

          “I’m finally home,” she grinned and took his hand.