The Protectors Chapter 31

Chapter 31

          Tobey stepped out onto the deck to show off his new clothing, well borrowed clothing. The brown breeches he was wearing were itchy, he was glad he was allowed to keep his boxers on. The black tunic was a little better, but the worst was the leather boots. They were a size too small, and he could feel the blisters already.

          “I will be able to get you another pair of boots when we get onto the island, but for now those will do. Otherwise you look pretty convincing.” Ben sat back in his chair and took a swig from his beer bottle.

          There were little lights on the railing of the patio, along with the light coming from the kitchen. The moon and stars were lit up above their heads, and there was not a single cloud in the sky.

          Tobey sat down on one of the other chairs and adjusted his breeches. They needed a belt.

          “Your turn Jade!” Ben hollered and a few moments later Jade came through the sliding glass door and out onto the deck. She was wearing a light blue wool dress and simple brown leather shoes. An apron was tied in front of her.

          “Very convincing,” Tobey began, “You look like a serving wench.”

          Jade glared at him for a moment, “Did you just call me a wench?”

          He watched her hand go behind her back for a fraction of a second as he tried to come up with a response. A moment later her hand held a dagger. A wicked grin was spread across her face.

          “Where did that come from?” Tobey asked, trying to figure out where on earth she could have hidden a dagger in the tight dress.

          “There is a little pocket at the back, just big enough for it to be held safely. Except I have no idea how I’m going to fight in this. The skirts are really tight.”

          Ben spoke a moment later, “You two will have to be dressed as you are until we make it to my house. You will be posing as servants from the northern part of the island, and you will have to look like it. Jade, you are going to have to take off your makeup, and mess up your hair. Tobey’s hair sticks up enough so he doesn’t have anything to worry about.”

          Tobey rolled his eyes and tried to pat his hair down. It was no use. Jade sat down beside him, smoothing out the bottom of her dress and leaning forward to put her dagger back into place.

          “You will not be fighting in a dress Jade; we have other clothing being made for you now, similar to what Tobey is wearing now. It will allow you to move faster without any trouble.” Ben finished the last of the beer and set the bottle down beside the front leg of his chair.

          “Thank you; I really do not see how anyone can work in this thing.”

          “Wait till you have to wear a corset.”

          “How do you know?” Tobey asked suspiciously.

          Benjamin stood up, avoiding meeting their eyes, “Sometimes you have a bit too much to drink, and are more open to trying stupid things.”

          Tobey laughed; Jade giggled and put her head in her hands. Ben walked back into the kitchen to put his empty bottle away. They had a late dinner a few hours ago, it was just after midnight however he was not tired, just filled with anxiety.

          Jade was quiet beside him, he reached over and took her hand, weaving his fingers through hers. She squeezed his hand in thanks but did not look away from the side of the boat. The moon was on the horizon, a huge white ball in the sky surrounded by a million little white dots.

          He sat back in his chair. The cool air was beginning to get to him; the cotton was not very wind resistant. His hair fluttered in the wind as he craned his neck to look onto the deck below.

          Aryn was sitting at the very back of the boat; her legs were hanging over the edge, almost touching the water below. Her hair blew in the wind. Tobey wondered if she had any idea about what was really going on around the isles. She seemed to be around whenever they talked about it, but it never seemed like she was listening.

          Tobey leaned back in the comfy chair and closed his eyes. He wanted nothing more than to be able to go back to the bedroom below deck, crawl under the covers and cuddle up beside Jade. He knew that would not be possible for a number of nights to come. Things were about to get a lot different.

          He reached up to fix the chain hidden beneath his tunic, the metal warm against his skin. The cross could not be seen when he was wearing the tunic, it came far enough up his neck that it hid the chain.

          The breeze began to pick up, he felt the wind ruffle his hair, and heard Jade shift in her chair. He opened his eyes and saw her legs were pressed against her chest. She was still looking out over the water.

          Ben was coming back from the kitchen.

          “How much longer do you think it will be?” Tobey asked, sitting forward.

          A loud rumble of thunder in the distance shook the boat. Jade opened her eyes immediately and sat up, obviously startled, “What the…”

          Ben smiled and jerked his head towards a spot off in the distance.

          Tobey stood up and rested his hands on the railing, staring off into the blackness of the night. He saw nothing for almost a minute, until a flash of lightning lit up the night sky, and the wall clouds beginning to engulf it.

          “Oh my god…”