The Protectors Chapter 19

Chapter 19         

          The morning of her memorial service, Jade woke up to sun streaming through the window. She groaned, rolled over and put a pillow over her head.

            The night before, the movers had taken everything out of her room but her bed, curtains included.

            She got out of bed and had a quick shower. There were a couple more things to get ready before she had to leave.

            After her shower, Jade pulled on a pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt, brushed her hair quickly then walked down into the kitchen.

            A fresh pot of coffee had just been made, and Jade pulled one of the few mugs still left in the kitchen and poured herself a cup.

            Walking out onto the porch in the back, she took a deep breath of the fresh air. There was nothing like waking up in the morning to clean, crisp air, rather than the smell of gasoline, car exhaust and garbage that was common in the heart of a city.           

            Jade loved the excitement of the city, all the lights and commotion, but only for short periods at a time. She preferred to live in the country, where she was surrounded by trees, and there was not another house for a mile or two.

            Her parents had lived in the penthouse of an apartment building in the heart of Paris, and they were going back to that building.

            She was going to miss the large yard, which would be replaced with a small balcony. There was nothing like looking out the bedroom window and seeing trees all around for miles.

            Jade stuffed the rest of her clothes into a black bag, along with everything she would be taking on the plane. The only thing left in her closet was the outfit she would be wearing to the memorial service.

            She zipped up the bag, slung it over her shoulder and walked out of her room and down the stairs.

            “Where do you think you are going young lady?” Viviana said.

            Jade turned around and saw her mother putting a vase into a box on the other side of the main hall.

            “I’m going to put all my stuff in the car.” She held up the bag, “This is the stuff I’m taking on the plane.”

            “Ah, all right. We will be taking the Mercedes to the airport. Don’t worry about your car; we will get you another one in Paris.”

            Jade nodded and walked towards the door that led to the garage door, picked up a set of keys and unlocked the car. She slipped her bag into the back and then shut the door of her Porsche.