The Protectors Chapter 4

Chapter 4

          Jade pulled Tobey through the crowd of rowdy people, all trying to fit through the doors at once. Everyone was hollering to each other in the mayhem, talking about how amazing the music was.

            Young girls giggled with their friends, couples hugged one another and friends talked casually as everyone pressed towards the exit, everyone still going strong even though it was after 4 in the morning.

            Once the two of them got out of the mass of people and found the truck, Jade let go of Tobey’s hand to get into the truck, then put her hands together on her lap.

            “That was insane!” Tobey said as he pulled out of the parking spot and got in line to get out of the parking lot. “We have to do that again.”

            He waited for an excited response from Jade, but when nothing came he looked at her. She was staring out of the front window, gripping the side of the door.

            “Are you ok?”

            She was silent for a moment before she spoke, “The moment I walk through the front door I’m dead. I’ll be grounded for the rest of my life and shipped off to some far away, girls-only school.”

            “So you snuck out to go see a concert, big deal.” He said in an expressionless voice.

            “You don’t understand! My family is different. I have certain rules to follow. Being friends with you breaks those rules, which is not ok with my parents.”

            Tobey was a little annoyed, “You can do what you want Jade, your 17, not 7.”

            “I can’t be around you anymore like this. I have a boyfriend. I think it would be best if we just finished the project and go back to the way things were before.”

            “I cant just disappear from your life!” he almost yelled as they got closer to the road.

            “You’re going to have to.”

            “Oh I see how this works… you play someone to get what you want. Just like every other rich girl out there. I took you to a concert and now you’re just going to dump me since you’ve gotten what you want.”

            Jade stared out the side windows, not saying anything.

            “We are protectors Jade! We have to stay together till the end, and you know that. We have a job to do!”

            She turned and looked at him, “No. We do not stay together till the end. Protectors are not allowed to be together! It’s against the rules!”

            “Why the hell do you always follow the rules?” he yelled, pulling out onto the road.

            “Because,” she hissed, “If I don’t follow the rules, then I lose everything.”

            “So you would rather have everything then keep me?”

            “I never had you Tobey!”

            He looked at her, “You had me the moment you sat down beside me at the start of the project!”

            Jade opened her mouth, but she never had the chance to talk.