The Protectors Chapter 2

Chapter 2

          Light was streaming through the crack between the curtains late the next morning. Jade rolled over and snuggled closer to Tobey, who was snoring lightly. She rested her head against his chest, inspecting the one side of his body.

          His muscular arm was still draped over her. She ran her fingers beside some of the cuts he had received in the crash. The bruises had almost disappeared having healed nicely.

          Tobey sighed at the touch, keeping his eyes closed as she tried to move out from under his arm.

          She felt him move suddenly, and then the next thing she knew he was looking down at her.

          “Well good morning,” He grinned wickedly, hair falling into his eyes.

          Jade giggled, looking up into his blue eyes which took her breath away. She stared into his eyes for a moment, unblinking.

          “Good morning,”

          “Any more bad dreams?”

          “Nope,” she smiled, “They must stop when you are around.”

          Tobey sat beside her, putting her legs onto his lap, “I’m a personal dream catcher… well I feel used.”

          “No! You are good for other things too!”

          He smirked, “Like what?” and pulled her closer before picking her up, throwing her over his shoulder and walking out of the room, into the kitchen.

          Jade laughed at his mock attitude, two can play this game she thought, as she felt herself  being set on the kitchen counter. She looked at him as he took a step back.

          Tobey was standing in a pair of plaid pj bottoms, without a shirt, his golden cross hanging from the chain and sparkling in the morning light. His hair was sticking up in all directions.

          “Decent eye candy,” she said and smiled.

          He laughed and opened the fridge.

          “Thank you for not leaving last night…” Jade said, her face turning slightly red as she looked at the floor.

          “I think I would have snuck in anyway,” he looked through the bottles in the fridge, “there is nothing in here.”

          Her cheeks reddened a bit more as she spoke, “There is always room service.”

          “Sounds good to me, I feel like pancakes, how about you?” Tobey turned and looked at her cheeks, “Are you blushing?”

          Jade didn’t think her face could get any warmer, but it found a way, “Yes…”

          He looked into her eyes, expression turning serious, and then his cheeks began to get darker as he spoke, “I was just as nervous sleeping beside you.”

          “It was nice. I felt safe.”

          She watched him smile without a response as he walked towards the phone on the wall to call down to the kitchen.

          Jade checked the clock. They had a little more than an hour until check out time. She slid off the edge of the counter, walking back into her room and began searching through her bag for something to wear.

          There was only a pair of jeans, and the shirt that Tobey had bought her at the concert. She put those on before walking into the bathroom to freshen up.

          When she finally walked back into the main room, Tobey had made the call and changed himself, wearing jeans and a black t-shirt. His eyes widened at her white shirt, dirt marks, cuts and all, “You kept it?”

          “Of course… what happened to yours?”

          “It’s at home in my closet, or still in my bag from the hospital.”

          Jade smiled, “at least you kept it,”

          “I wouldn’t throw it out, it’s a good souvenir.” He gave a half smile, “Well it’s a decent souvenir.”

          Their conversation was cut short by a light knock on the door, and Jade went to go get the tray of food.

          “Well that was fast,” she said, lifting the silver lid off of a plate of pancakes, which were covered in raspberries, whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

          Jade looked up at Tobey, who whispered, “The pancakes of the gods…”

          She laughed and handed him his plate.