The Protectors Chapter 18

Chapter 18

          Tobey woke up the morning of Jade’s memorial service and stared at the ceiling of his room. He was scared to go; everyone would be there, asking hundreds of questions about what happened.

            Jared would also be there. He groaned. Jared would no doubt have something to say to him.

            Then there would be all the pictures of her, and videos. Her face would be everywhere. Tobey wanted nothing more than to see her face again, but not in a photo.

            He finally made himself get up out of bed and go to the kitchen. The power had come back on some time during the night, so Josh was free to go to school, and his father back to work.

            Tobey would have the house to himself until Josh came home for lunch in the next few minutes.

            He walked into the kitchen and found a note on the kitchen table. His father found a nice dress shirt and pants for him to wear to the memorial service. Tobey picked up the black shirt and pants and took them to his room.

            Josh walked in the front door just as he was making his way back into the kitchen.

            “Did you see the neighbor’s new truck? It’s insane!” 

            “No…”

            “Come see it!”

            Tobey slipped on his shoes and followed his brother through the front door and down the driveway.

            A gorgeous brand new white Avalanche truck was sitting in front of the curb. Tobey was practically drooling as he walked closer to inspect it.

            He walked around to the driver’s side. In the front seat was a small envelope. Tobey looked closer and saw his name on the front of it. He tried the door, which had been unlocked the entire time he realized.

            “Uh what are you doing?” Josh asked, watching his brother open the door.

            “It’s got my name on it…” He opened the envelope and found two keys, along with a piece of paper with something written on it.

            Tobey,

            Considering you never got to say goodbye to Jade, please accept this as a formal parting gift. I am aware that your previous truck was unfit to drive, so this should do just fine. All the paperwork is in the glove compartment.

                                                                                    Best Wishes,

                                                                                                            Viviana Cooper

            “What does it say?” Josh was standing beside Tobey, trying to read the handwriting on the page.

            “Woh… Jade’s mom gave me a truck…” he got in the front seat and put the key in the ignition. The engine purred and Tobey smiled.

            He wished he could thank Jade’s mother… who probably wasn’t as bad as he thought.