The Protectors Chapter 11

Chapter 11         

          Tobey set his bag down at the foot of his bed and sat down beside it and buried his face in his hands.

            He had not said a word to his father since they stepped into the car to go home. He had just stared at the road in front of him.

            There was a light knock on his bedroom door and his father walked in.

            Tobey looked up into his father’s face, his blue eyes full of sadness as he watched his son.

 James Varden looked like an older version of his son. His brown hair had flecks of grey in it, but was still as thick as ever. He had soft facial which had been accumulating wrinkles over the past few years. He had a similar build as his son, but not as muscular as he has been in the past.

Tobey suddenly feeling like he was 12 again as he spoke the two words his father had spoken to him, “She’s gone.”

            His father sat down beside him and pulled him into a hug. “I’m sorry Tobey,” he whispered into his son’s hair.

            The hug brought tears to his eyes and he desperately tried to wipe them away so his father didn’t see them.

            James grabbed his wrist gently, “It’s ok to cry.”

            Tobey nodded gently and lowered his hand, letting the tears fall freely, “It’s my fault,” he said quietly and closed his eyes.

            “What’s your fault?”

            “I killed the girl I love.”

            “Woh, hold on a second,” his father spoke sternly, “I want you to listen to me.”  James shifted so he was sitting across from his son, “Look at me.”

            Tobey looked up into the eyes of his father and wiped the tears from his eyes.

            “This is not your fault.”

            “I was the one driving… I should have been more careful…”

            “Stop it.”

            Tobey almost jumped at the tone of his father’s voice. It was a mixture of anger and honesty but filled with love.

            “You are not the one who was sitting in the driver’s seat of that vehicle. You were not the one who had their foot on the pedal. You were not the one who slammed into the side of the truck. You are not the one who killed Jade.” James sighed, kneeled and put his hands on his son’s shoulders, “This is not your fault.”

            Tobey nodded, a fresh set of tears fell down the side of his face, “I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

            “You take it day by day, you are a strong man. It hurts like hell Tobey, I know. I know what its like to lose the one you love,” His father’s voice caught in his throat, but he swallowed and continued, “But you keep going. Things will get better.” His voice was a whisper now.

            Tobey ran his hands through his hair once his father let go of his shoulders. He gripped his hair until he felt pain. His fathers arm pulled him into a hug once more then kissed the top of his head once.

            They sat like that until the sun went down.