Ch. 7

Pauline walked out of the hospital feeling completely drained. It had been weeks since she'd had a restful sleep, and she hadn't eaten since yesterday.
So, she had asked Gilan to watch Halt while she took a trip to Jenny's diner. As she walked to the Heaped Platter, she allowed herself one of the very few moments of emotional freedom. Tears streamed down her face freely and she didn't hide them.
Halt deserved them. Her beloved husband, the love of her life, the man she had waited on for so long, was dying. He had been for a month. Part of her knew the end had to be coming, but she just couldn't believe that.
The Heaped Platter was filled with chattering towns people going about their daily business. Pauline looked around, seeing their smiling faces.
Must be nice, she thought, to not have your world twisting upside down as you sit by helplessly.
She took a seat in the corner, away from any other occupied tables.
"Pauline!" A peppy voice called. The diplomat turned in her chair to see a beautiful woman in an apron coming to her.
"Hello, Jenny." Pauline greeted, successfully hiding her emotions and exhaustion in a heartbeat.
"How are you?" Jenny asked, stirring a bowl of something that looked like dough. Pauline was well aware of the wooden laden Jenny was also using. Some say a ladel is a kitchen utensil. Jenny and Master Chubbs had successfully made it a weapon.
"Fine, thank you."
"Can I get you something? A chicken wing, goose stew? Perhaps a duck leg?" Jenny threw one meal out after another. It was as if she recited them daily, burning the menu into her memory.
"Goose stew?" Pauline asked, perking up in a show of interest.
"Yes ma'am! Finest in Araluen!" Jenny never missed a chance to enhance her restaurant.
"Well Jenny, if you cooked it, I don't doubt that."
Jenny smiled softly. "Thank you, Pauline." She said, dropping the act. "You're sure there's nothing else I can get you?"
"A glass of water to go with the stew?"
"Of course." Jenny said, putting a hand on Pauline's arm. She stayed that way for several seconds.
"He'll be okay, Pauline," Jenny comforted. "Have you ever known Will to dissapoint his mentor?"
Pauline allowed herself to laugh. She thought of the many times Will had struggled and stressed himself out just to please Halt. Jenny was right. Will would not fail this time. She looked up at the chef.
"Thank you, Jenny." Pauline whispered. "You don't know what that means to me."
Jenny nodded and walked back to the kitchen, leaving Pauline to settle her thoughts and her grumbling stomach.

The action starts next chapter!