Ch. 28

Gilan halted Blaze in front of Jenny's house.
"Here we go," he whispered.
Blaze snorted.
Go on you big baby.
"Shut up," Gilan said, but dismounted.
He knocked on Jenny's door lightly. In seconds, she opened it.
Gilan immediately noticed how beautiful she was, like he did every time he saw her. She was in a simple blue dress, and her hair was pulled back in a loose bun.
"Gilan!" She smiled.
"Hullo, Jen." He said. Jenny stepped aside to let him in.
"How is Will?" She asked, moving to the kitchen. Gilan sat at the table and watched as she made lunch.
"He's a little better," Gilan replied. "He remembered something about Maddie this morning. I think he said it was a feeling, not an event."
"That's good!" Jenny exclaimed. "Progress!"
Gilan nodded. Jenny stopped and turned to face him as she leaned against her bar.
"And you?" She asked. Gilan looked at her with intense eyes. He'd known she would ask this.
"I'm fine, Jen-" he began before she cut him off.
"Because I know you haven't been sleeping and you're worried about Halt and Will and they're clouding your thoughts, and you may have to leave for home anytime now and I-"
Gilan stood and walked to Jenny. He cut her off with a hand under her chin. She stared at him as he looked into her eyes.
"Jenny," he said slowly. "I'm okay. I got rest last night. I won't leave here without saying goodbye. And of course I'm worried about Halt and Will. But I'm worried about you too."
Jenny trembled.
"Me?" She asked.
"Yes, you." Gilan said, watching her carefully. "You gave up your restaurant. You can play it like you're fine, but I can see that you're not. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. But you have to think this through."
Jenny pushed into Gilan's chest, and he wrapped his strong arms around her.
"I know," she said in a muffled voice. "I just can't focus on my cooking, on my restaurant, on anything but you. You're all that matters."
Gilan hoped she couldn't hear how fast his heart was beating.
"Jenny, it will get-" He tried.
"I gave up my restaurant for a reason." She continued, looking up at him. "I chose you over it. I knew it was time for a decision."
Gilan shook.
"And I chose you," Jenny finished.
Gilan couldn't believe it. For years he had dreamed of this. Was it really happening now?
"I- You're serious?" He stammered.
Jenny laughed. "Yes."
Gilan was overcome with happiness. He laughed, lifted Jenny up and twirling her. She laughed as well.
"Jen, I've been dreaming of this day my whole life, it seems!" He exclaimed.
"Is it how you imagined?" She asked.
Gilan bent down and kissed her softly.
"It's better."