Ch. 22

Halt and Gilan sat by the bed that had practically become their home. Pauline and Jenny stood behind them. In Pauline's hand was a letter from Maddie, saying she'd made it halfway to Macindaw.
But everyone's attention was focused on Will.
He'd hit his head on the ground. Gilan and Halt had blamed themselves, but Halt in particular.
Halt had put in his head that he should try walking. Halt hadn't been there when he fell. And now Halt was thinner and paler than ever before. In turn of being worried about Will, he hadn't ate or slept. And because of that, he had Pauline worried.
Halt grabbed Will's hand as the tears fell.
What have I done to you, Will? He thought.
Pauline bent down and whispered in Halt's ear.
"Need time alone?" She asked. Halt just nodded.
"Jenny, Gilan," Pauline said, standing back up. "Come with me to grab a bite."
Jenny nodded and grabbed Gilan's hand. Together, they left.
Halt watched Will as he breathed evenly. He felt like he should say something, but he couldn't. Words could not describe how he felt.
As Halt lowered his head, Will opened his eyes.
"What happened?" He croaked.
Halt's head shot up.
"Will?" He said.
"Where am I?" His voice was strained. Will was scared.
"Will," Halt said, confusion shining through his voice. "Don't you remember getting hurt? And trying to walk yesterday?"
"I...what?" Will said.
Halt's pulse quickened. This couldn't be happening.
"Will, who am I?" He stated plainly.
The man just stared.
"Who am I, Will!" Halt cried. He refused to accept this. It couldn't be happening. Not now, after everything was slowly progressing.
"I'm sorry." Will said. "I don't remember you. Who are you?"
Oh, the things Halt could say now. He could tell Will that he was the reason Will was in this mess. He could explain all about Will's life as a Ranger. Instead, Halt said something he never had before.
"I am sorry." He said, letting tears spill over.