Ch. 32

Will knew what was going on. He was himself again.
He knew Halt was worried sick about him. He knew Gilan was as well. He knew they thought he was in shock.
He wasn't. He was fine. He just...needed some time. Alone.
Of course, he couldn't have that. They were worried about him and wanted to be by his side. After all, he knew if Halt or Gilan or Maddie were in this position, he wouldn't want to leave them either.
But the constant attention was nerve-wracking.
There was only one way. He had to let them know he was okay.
So, as Halt walked through the bedroom door with Gilan, Will put on his game face.
"Hullo Gilan." Will greeted. Both Gilan and Halt jumped at his voice.
"Will?" Halt asked, bewildered.
"Hullo!" Gilan replied excitedly.
Will scoffed.
"You act as if it's shocking that I can speak." He said, standing and walking to his kitchen. Behind him, Halt and Gilan followed.
"You haven't spoken since before last night," Halt said, crossing his arms. "Of course it is shocking."
Will only shrugged.
"I'm fine."
"You're being short," Gilan argued. "That's far from fine."
"You two need to take a break, alright! I'm fine!" Will shouted.
Gilan and Halt shared a glance. Will didn't see it.
"Alright," Halt sighed. "Then I supposed I'll go out and get Pauline...she'll want to see you."
"Yes, and Jenny will want to make a feast." Gilan agreed.
"They are women," Halt added, wiping dust from the tabletop. "And they won't trust us fully."
"They'll have to hear it from you yourself." Gilan touched.
Halt chuckled. "It will be like..."
"Like you're on trial!" Gilan finished with a laugh.
"I hear it's a lot of pressure," Halt said, shrugging.
Will wasn't stupid. He could see what they were doing and, given the circumstances, he was willing to call their bluff.
"Alright." Will said. He took a seat at the table and leaned back, making a show of being comfortable.
Halt grabbed an apple before he and Gilan headed for the door. Will watched them go until Halt's hand was on the doorknob, and neither showed signs of stopping.
Will sighed.
"Fine." He grumbled. "I'm a little shaken."
Halt and Gilan turned and crossed their arms in sync. It was strange.
"It's a lot to fathom," Will continued. "But I'll be fine. I'm just glad I am back to normal."
Halt relaxed and walked over to Will. He laid a hand on the man's shoulders.
"Good to have you back, son." Halt said. "Good to have you back."