Ch. 30 - Halt's POV

Will?" Halt said.
"I'm still alive," Will groaned from inside the bedroom. It was a joke, Halt knew, but Will didn't make it sound like a joke.
Halt opened the door and stuck his head inside.
"What happened today?" He asked.
Will sat up in bed. "What do you mean?"
"It's still light outside and you want to sleep?" Halt reasoned. "I know you better than that. What happened?"
Will just shook his head.
Halt watched him carefully. When Will didn't answer, Halt shrugged.
"I'm going to make coffee. Want a cup?" He asked, hoping to pry Will from his room.
Will shook his head again, and Halt's heart sank. He hesitated before closing the door.
It wasn't like him, Halt thought. Will never went to bed this early. Never. Even if his memories were gone, this was still strange.
Maddie had told Halt in private about Will's episode today in the woods. She'd said something about a clearing. But that didn't mean anything. There were countless clearings in these woods.
For the next few hours, Halt roamed about the cabin, finding little chores to do. He made is coffee, of course. Then afterwards, he washed the dishes, cleaned the stables, and swept the floor.
Exhausted, Halt collapsed in a chair.
Naturally, he noticed something else that was wrong.
A floorboard was sticking up in the corner. Grunting, Halt made his way to the wood and lifted it gently.
"What on earth.." He said as he saw the little box underneath. Curious, he picked it up and opened it.
Inside were notes. Several notes, written in neat handwriting that Halt recognized immediately.
Alyss.
He read them one by one. Love letters, notes about leaving for missions, and some strange scrap paper where codes seemed to be scribbled.
Maybe... Halt thought. If I show these to Will...
Anxious, he stood and walked to the bedroom door. Quietly, he cracked it open, only to find Will snoring slightly on his back.
When he wakes up, Halt told himself.
Halt closed the door and sat the little box on the kitchen table.
But no sooner than he could sit down again, Will's screaming started.