Ch. 9

"Dead?"
The word tasted like metal in Will's mouth. It tasted like shock. It tasted like dissapointment.
Worst of all, it tasted like failure.
Orman nodded solemnly.
"Happened about a month ago," He said.
Will couldn't breath. He'd spent the past month traveling to Macindaw with one thought to drive him: He had to save Halt, and Malcolm was their only hope. Now, that hope was gone, extinguished by the timeline that is life. And Halt was going to die. He was going to leave Will alone in the world.
"Will?" Maddie asked. He didn't hear her. He'd gone pale and was now staring at the ground with wide eyes.
"Will!" Maddie tried again, beginning to worry. She'd seen Will like this only once before, when she'd woken up on the ground years ago with her wounded leg. Will was in shock.
"Will! Will, snap out of it!" Maddie cried, shaking his shoulders. Suddenly, she was angry with her former mentor. He seemed to be overly upset about something, but she didn't understand.
Overcome with anger, worry, and confusion, she shoved Will against the wall behind him.
"Will Treaty!" She screamed. "Snap out of it! Get a grip! You're not doing Halt any good by sitting here staring at a wall!"
Orman and Xander watched wordlessly and wide-eyed. Up until now, Maddie had not spoken at all, and now she was screaming into the face of the legendary Will Treaty.
Will, on the other hand, was already nodding, refusing to look his goddaughter in the eyes. She was right, he'd let his worry overtake him. There had to be another way. The door had been closed, but there was always another window of opportunity.
"You're right." He whispered.
Maddie removed her arms and stepped back, giving Will space. He stood up straight and looked at Orman.
"In the years before he died, did Malcolm ever come out of Healer's Clearing to your knowledge?" He asked. Orman thought for a second before answering.
"Towards the last year, he began to do his own grocery shopping. But it wasn't much. Just twice a month or so, and he always dressed up like a different person each time. Only Xander and I knew of it."
Hope surged in Will's chest. All was not lost.
There was always another window of opportunity.
"Maddie," He said, still looking at Orman. "Looks like we have some questions for the townsmen."

It has been a while since I updated! So sorry to leave you all in the dark with that last chapter! But I hope this will make up for it!