Ch. 29

Will and Maddie rode through the woods.
It brought back memories, for Maddie at least. Of days during her training. When she would take Bumper out for rides in the few free periods she got.
"It's beautiful," Will said, staring at his surroundings.
"Yes. It is." Maddie said.
"I wish I could remember it." He said.
Maddie glanced at him sidelong. She wished he could remember. It wasn't fair for him to live a life like the one he did, make so many memories and life discoveries, and then forget them.
"Will don't give up." Maddie blurted. "You're memories will come back, I know they will. And then you can be okay and everything will be normal again."
Will opened his mouth to reply, to tell her he wouldn't give up. But something else happened instead.
They two of them rode into a small clearing. It was beautiful. And Will recognized it.
Maddie and Bumper dissapeared. Tug dissapeared. The sunlight dimmed in Will's mind, and he could only see one spot.
In his imagination, he saw himself young and happy. Standing in front of a beautiful blonde young woman.
Alyss.
Nobody said her name. It just came to Will. He knew it was her. Alyss. And he loved her.
But if that was true, where was she now?
Slowly, he came back to reality. The sunlight shone normal again. Maddie and Bumper were next to Will, who was still atop Tug.
"Will?" Maddie was saying. "Are you okay?"
Will blinked and leaned forward in his saddle.
"I..." He tried. "Yeah. I am."
"You sure?" Maddie prodded. "You were about to say something and then you just...spaced out. And you started shaking and then-"
"This place just seems...familiar..." Will interupted. Maddie stopped talking and looked around.
"I've never seen it before," she said, shrugging. "Although it is beautiful. Looks like a good place for a picnic or a small party."
Small party.
Wedding.
"Let's go home." Will said suddenly. He whirled Tug around and took off.
"Okay..." Maddie said before following.
What she didn't know was that Will had just recovered his first memory.
Of Alyss. Of their wedding.
And of her death.