20. I kinda like you

4 MONTHS LATER

//

Corrine and Luke sat in the library going over a few last minute things before exams. Luke had kept his promise, and after the project was over, they remained friends. They sat together during class, and lunch. Corrine and Owen even spent Christmas with them when December had rolled around. Luke had gotten her a copy of the Outsiders, after she told him how much she loved that book. It wasn't much, but Corrine loved it.

Corrine glanced over at Luke as he sighed in frustration. He rested his head on the desk. "Do you want to take a break?" Corrine asked. Luke nodded, rubbing his hands over his face and through his hair. "Hey, what's wrong?" she asked, scooting closer to him.

"This is so hard." he said. "No matter how hard I try, I'll never understand this."

"You're doing great, Luke." Corrine said.

"No I'm not. I'm a failure."

"Luke, look at me." Luke kept his eyes down. Corrine sighed, and grabbed his chin, tilting it so he could look her in the eyes. As his met hers, Corrine could see the sadness, evident in his blue eyes, and that upset her greatly. "Luke," she sighed. "You are not a failure. Why would you even think that? You're smart, you're funny, you're amazing in so many ways! So why do you put yourself down? You're good enough. I know you're good enough. And you should too. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot, because they just don't know you like I do. You're not a failure Luke. You never were."

It was silent for a moment, and as Corrine opened her mouth to ask if he was okay, Luke leaned in and pressed his lips to hers, wrapping one hand behind her neck, holding her there. Realizing what he did, Luke quickly pulled out, and looked at her with wide eyes. "I'm sorry." he said, getting up and running out of the library. Corrine sat, shocked, trying to wrap her mind around what just happened. Gasping, she got up, running after him.

"LUKE!" she shouted, frantically searching the halls for him. "LUKE!" she turned the corner, and found him, his head resting against the locker. She could hear him muttering to himself. "Hey." she said quietly. Luke spun around, almost falling on his face. He looked at her. His face was sad, embarrassed, and nervous. He swallowed.

"Corrine, I-I'm sorry, really, I am-"

"About what?" Corrine asked him softly. "What are you apologizing for?"

"I kissed you!" he shouted, running a hand through his hair. Corrine raised an eyebrow.

"And what? That's wrong? Is that a bad thing?"

"NO!" Luke shouted. Corrine jumped. She wasn't used to seeing him like this. Not since he and Amelia broke up. "I- for the past four months you have been on my mind every single minute of every day. I can't get you out of my mind!" he explained. "I really like you Corrine, and-"

"Luke." Corrine said, taking a step forward. He ignored her.

"I enjoyed the time we spent together, and because I kissed you, I've probably just ruined everything!"

"Luke,"

"I just, god damn, Corrine you're messing with my mind!"

"Luke would you shut up for five seconds so that I can tell you that I like you to." Corrine said firmly. Luke stopped, and turned to her.

"Y-You like m-me t-to?" he asked. Corrine shook her head while laughing, and stepped forward, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"You're an idiot." she said, and leaned in, gently kissing him. "But you're my idiot." she mumbled against his lips.