Eleven - Hi

-The Eleventh Chapter-

[Zayn’s POV]

I pulled into Liam’s driveway and saw Louis’ car parked where Liam’s car normally was. Curiosity was killing me, but I just assumed that Liam stepped out to blow off his anger. I would’ve too if I were him. I stepped out of my car, pulling my keys out of the ignition and grabbed my shooting supplies from the back and walked to the front door. I walked up the porch and pushed the door open with my full hands. I walked into the living room and saw Niall and Louis sitting on the couch, both on opposite ends, just starring at the ground.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, preparing myself for a long heated discussion about their ‘relationship.’ Niall shook his head as a tear started to roll down his cheek and got up and excused himself to the kitchen. Louis looked up at me and glared at me He stood and handed me Liam’s household phone,

“Listen to the message.” He said bluntly, following Niall into the kitchen. I confusingly held onto the phone as I tapped some buttons to start listening to the message. The ID of the caller said unknown and the number wasn’t a number I was familiar with. I brought the device up to my ear and listened quietly to the message playing,

“Hello Mrs. Payne, we are calling from the Royal London Hospital with regards to your son, Liam Payne. We aren’t going beat around the bush with this – your son was in a head on collision with a large factory truck. He wasn’t wearing a seat belt, which made the outcome much worse. The force of the hit threw Liam backwards and his weight mixed with the strength of hit caused him to break through the door behind the passenger seat. He was unconscious when we got to him and we assume he was unconscious when he landed. He’s in critical condition right now. We are not taking any visitors as of right now. I’m sorry, but he’s too unstable. We’ll give you a ring once we have more knowledge on Liam’s state and inform you on when we’ll allow visitors in. We’re sorry you had to find out through a voice message. Good-bye.”

The phone disconnected and I stood still – absolutely frozen. I felt as if my heart was going to combust due to the rate at which it was pumping. A lump clogged my throat and was pretty much suffocating me. I felt as if my knees were about to give way so I struggled to make my way to the couch before I fell down to the ground. When I sat myself down Niall had re-entered the room and sat down beside me. I couldn’t bring myself to cry because it didn’t seem real. Just this morning I kissed his sleeping head and now he’s locked in a hospital.

“What if he dies?” I heard Niall’s small voice echo throughout the quiet room. I didn’t respond with my voice, but I turned my head and gave him a glare that told him he better shut the fuck up or I’d kill him. Niall caught my glimpse and bit his lip, turning his head away from me quickly, “I should’ve been nicer to him. He thought I hated him. I honestly didn’t. I didn’t hate him at all. I was just jealous that he was stealing my best friend from me. Zayn, I didn’t hate him at all.”

Niall was now sobbing into his hands. He voice was broken and as he shrieked into his hands, his voice would crack. I emotionlessly shuffled over and wrapped my arms around my best friends trembling body, and as I did so Louis’ booming voice erupted in the living room,

“Get your hands off Niall!” He screamed. I jolted away from him, and watched as Louis stormed towards Niall, picking him up and forcefully hugging him. Niall squirmed as his hot tears ran down his cheeks, begging to be let go of. Niall would punch Louis’ chest and scratch at his arms, but Louis held on tightly, never letting go.

“Let go of me!” Niall screamed at Louis, but Louis refused to let go. Niall continued to cry and struggle in Louis’ arms, but eventually calmed down. Louis never took his eyes off of me and I never took mine off him.