Twenty - Do It Online

-The Twentieth Chapter-

[Liam’s POV]

            “Are you sure those pills are working?” Zayn took my hand as he looked over to me. My head was resting against the back of the chair in the office of the Dean of my university. Zayn had asked me to come with him, not exactly telling me why I was going with him. Lectures were starting soon, so Harry and Louis had left to prepare for them. And that meant Zayn and Niall would be leaving very soon as well, leaving me alone, and in pain.

            “Yes. I’m fine.” I lied as I sat straight up. The truth was, despite having the pills the doctor from the hospital gave me; they hadn’t worked as well as I had hoped. I mean, I could move now, which was a benefit, but I was still constantly suffering from a throbbing ache that traveled throughout my entire body every time I inhaled a breath. Zayn narrowed his eyes as he watched me, clearly not buying my lie. “I’ll be fine,” I slowly said, “But then you’re going to be gone.” I didn’t look over to Zayn as I finished what I said, but I could feel him starring at me, his gaze practically burning me. I heard his open his mouth with a small breath, but before he could talk, he was interrupted.

            “Mr. Malik, Mr. Payne, you will be seen now.” The receptionist at the office desk spoke, “Just straight through that door.” She directed with a slight point to her right, without lifting her eyes from her computer. Her fingers were working the keyboard quite quickly. Zayn stood and I managed to stand without making him look back at me with a concerned look, but inside I was screaming. The agony was too much, but I could tolerate it in small doses.

            I followed Zayn, as quickly as I could, and went into the office, only to be immediately talked to, “Hi there, Liam.” Part of me was amazed that the Dean had remembered my name. I mean, the school, was pretty large. I smiled and nodded while avoiding eye contact, as I felt kind of bad for not really ever committing his name to my memory, “So tell me, why exactly are you here?” His eyes were fixed on mine, and I hesitated with my response because I had no honest clue why I was here. I turned my head and looked over to Zayn, eyeing him – hoping he’d answer for me.

            “He actually doesn’t know why,” Zayn winked, “I wouldn’t tell him.”

            “Why’s that?” The Dean asked, now directing his gaze to Zayn.

            “Because I knew that if he knew why we were going, he wouldn’t come.” Zayn was now looking back at the Dean, and I felt excluded from the entire conversation, but Zayn’s words kept replaying in my mind. The Dean motioned towards Zayn with his hands, basically asking Zayn to explain, “Well, Sir, as you may or may not know, during the summer, Liam suffered a horrible car accident and is still suffering from it.”

            The Dean cut him off and looked at me, “Yes – I have heard, and I am glad you’re doing better. I truly am, son.” I gave him a small nod and let Zayn continue his talking.

            “And, you see, he’s been taking medication but ran out –”