Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22
K POV:

Today was probably the longest day before a hunt that I have ever had, and I even slept in later than I usually do. I know it's because I'm not letting the restraints go as much as I used to be able to back home, but if I did here it would only scare anyone who saw. Plus I just don't want to risk hurting someone, I can't risk that. Not to mention that I haven't even talked about doing that with McGonagall yet.

At fifteen til midnight I kissed George goodnight and headed out the portrait door. I walked down to the Great Hall entrance to wait for Hagrid. I feel the mental restraints I've made for myself, on my fangs, strain even more than usual. I know that Hagrid will be here soon, but I also know that I'm going to have to try to find somewhere I can go vamp in between moons. The added blood lust and the strain of never going vamp is getting to be too much to handle. I just hope that McGonagall gives me permission, if I can find somewhere, to go vamp for a few hours.

"Oooooo back again....such a dangerous girl in Hogwarts, should tell the rest of the students I should."

"Hello Peeves."

"Bite anyone lately? Really should tell everyone I should for their own safety."

I was about to turn and say something that would probably result in him telling everyone but then I noticed a second ghost gliding towards us. It's the ghost of Slytherin I think, though I don't know his name yet. Never thought to ask anyone to be honest. He glances at me and then turns towards Peeves. It doesn't take a genius to realize that he's covered in blood, ghost blood at least.

"Peeves, what are you doing?"

"Oh, Bloody Baron your bloodiness. I was simply thinking of warning everyone what a dangerous creature this student is. I did not mean to disturb you your bloodiness."

"You shall leave Ms. Harrison alone. Understood?"

"Yes of course your bloodiness, my mistake. Goodnight."

Without a second glance Peeves bows towards both of us and then glides up through the ceiling, leaving me with the Bloody Baron, if that's actually his name. He turns towards me and gives a slight bow before gliding down through the floor. I have no idea why he decided to help keep my secret safe, but I'm honestly glad he did.

I hear what sounds like footsteps behind me, and I swear I smelled George for a second but when I turn around there wasn't anyone there. I smell the air again and I still smell George. I cast a revealing spell, but nothing there. Great now I'm losing my mind, well at least I have Moody's classes that I might be able to blame for that. His paranoia is spreading it seems. Just what Hogwarts needs, a paranoid half-vamp already straining from lack of vamping out.

George's POV:

Tonight is the night I find out what her secret is. As soon as Kat left through the portrait entrance I walked over to Harry. I just have to see where she's going tonight. I know it's betraying her trust but I have to know that she'll be alright whatever she's about to do. I run up to Harry's dorm room and find all his bunkmates in there as well. I pull Harry aside as I ask for the stuff I need to borrow tonight.

"Harry I need a favor."

"What is it?"

"I need to borrow your cloak and the Maurader's Map."

"Why?"

"Tell yah tomorrow mate? I swear I'll return both."

"Ok, here you go then."

"Thanks mate."

"You're really going to do this then?" (F)

"Shut it Fred. I just have to know that she'll be alright."

"Alright, just don't be mad when she catches you."

I wave him off just as Harry throws the cloak and the map to me. I catch them, grin and shout night to him and fight my way back to the portrait hole. I throw the cloak on as soon as I'm outside and get the map out. I find Kat's dot standing still at the entrance hall, as well as Peeves and well bloody hell the Bloody Baron. Well it looks like that's where I'm headed then. I take off as quietly as I can down the stairs and make it to the entrance hall and she's standing there, waiting for Hagrid if Hermione heard correctly that day. I catch the Bloody Baron gliding down into the floor as I take a few steps closer to her.

I freeze as she turns and around and looks right at me. I watch as she smells the air? Before turning back toward the doors. I don't move any closer but suddenly she turns back around and casts a revealing spell. I don't move, I figure the cloak is about to fly off anyway but it doesn't even move. She looks right at me again but seems satisfied that she's alone.

I let out a little breath as Hagrid opens the doors and motions her to come outside. I follow behind before the door shuts all the way and follow behind them towards the forest. I catch bits and pieces of their conversation but then I watch as she starts to sway again. Luckily Hagrid caught her, I just had to make sure I didn't rush forward. I'm close enough though I can hear what they're talking about.

"Alrigh there Katherine?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine once I let the restraints go."

"Why ain yeh don it already?"

"Didn't want to frighten you."

"Ah don worry bout me, I'm use to it after three months yeh know."

"It's fine, we're only a few feet from the forest. Then I will, I swear."

I watch as he nods but doesn't seem to agree with her completely. I follow behind as I begin to wonder what restraints she was talking about. I watch as she walks into the forest alone with Hagrid telling her he'd pick her up at sunrise. I can't believe he just let her go in there alone. I follow as quickly and quietly as I can just to make sure that something doesn't attack her. Bloody hell the forest has giant man eating spiders, werewolves, and who knows what else. Sure Fred and I go in all the time, but during the daytime.

I catch up to Kat after a few minutes and watch her take off her cloak and robes off. Underneath she's wearing a pair of dark leggings, a long black shirt, and has put on a pair of leather fingerless gloves. She casts a spell and a small fire starts burning in the center of the clearing. Then I watch as she leaves her robes and cloak at the foot of a tree before rolling her head around on her shoulders and stretching.

She opens her eyes and in the dim light of the fire I can see that they're bright silver. That's not all I see though. In the moonlight, I can see two white, sharp looking fangs. So she wasn't lying earlier, she isn't a werewolf. She's a.......I don't even know what she is. I mean she can't be a vampire, she walks around in the sun all the time.

I watch her spring forward into the trees for a few minutes and then suddenly she's walking back with......with a small trace of blood on her lips. I see her place something next to a tree on the other side of the small clearing as she wipes her mouth on the back of her glove. I watch as she stands perfectly still and smells the air again just like she did in the hall. I watch as she freezes as she opens her eyes. A minute ago I would have said she looked fearless and confident, but now she looks the opposite. I hear her mumble something under her breath before looking towards where I'm standing.

"I-I know you're there George. I can.....I can smell you."

I pause a moment to make sure she isn't just guessing, but there's no way she could be that lucky. I take off the cloak and place it on top of hers at the base of the tree before turning to look at her. I watch as she takes a step toward me and I take a step back though I'm not sure why. I know she sees though because she freezes and doesn't try to come any closer than the eight or nine feet in between us now.

I watch as her lip seems to quiver some and she shakes her head a bit before looking back at me. I watch as she looks at me again but then looks to the left of her into the forest before turning back to me with a pleading look in her eyes. The eyes that I'm used to seeing as bright blue are now a burning silver in color.

"Stay there please? I can explain, I just have to take care of something first."

I watch as she springs into the woods again and I feel myself sit on the ground as I wait for her. What else could I do? I want answers, and I don't want to just leave her out here. We've been dating now for a few months, and I gave her a promise ring yesterday. I at least owe it to her to listen to what she has to say.