Chapter Four

Things hadn't been the same since we got back; Rick kept to himself, everyone was on edge, and Carl was different. Something changed in him that night, and it was beginning to worry me. "Judith needs you," I stated softly as I watched Rick tend to some plants, getting no response. He had done this before, back when Lori died, but this time is was different....it affected him more with Michonne. "Rick....Judith needs you and-" "I'll come see her when I'm done here." he finally snapped, and I flinched a bit before shaking my head. "We have until tomorrow before they come back, we have the rest of the day to worry about supplies...you need to take a break." I explained calmly, and he looked at me before standing up.
"Do you blame me for what happened?" he asked softly, and I furrowed my brow. "What? N- no...I know there was nothing you could have done...more would've died if you'd stepped in." Rick nodded as he looked around, tilting his head. "I have to protect everyone. We aren't safe anymore, and if this is what's needed for us to be able to survive, then I will make sure it's done." he stated, and I looked down, licking my lips as I pondered over his words. "Okay...you know what's best." I replied softly. I then took it upon myself to wrap my arms around him, pulling him into a hug. He soon returned the gesture, holding me against him tightly as his whole body shook. I rubbed his back soothingly, and eventually he relaxed. "I should make sure the rest of the supplies is ready...thank you," he said softly after pulling away, and I smiled giving him a quick nod. "We'll be okay, Rick." I assured him, and he nodded slowly before walking away.

Author's Note: Soooooo how do you like this story so far? The next chapter will be longer, and have a lot more in it. I personally felt this small chapter was needed. More to come! ;)