Fixed Affection Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Few Weeks Later

I checked myself over one last time in the mirror, smoothing out my dress.  My parents sent it to me from France as a sorry-we-won’t-make-it-home-for-this-Christmas-party-this-year gift.  I was disappointed they wouldn’t be here and a little irked because I would definitely be the center of attention now.  I was applying a coat of red lipstick to add a pop of Christmas cheer to my ensemble when someone knocked on my door.

“Coming!” I called as I grabbed my purse and coat and headed for the door.

I opened my door to a finely dressed man, twisting to face me I came eye to eye with my date for the evening Alex McCullough.

Natalie’s date for me.

 She’s hard to say no to.

“Why Miss Meyers, you look beautiful this evening.”  He said while helping me into my jacket.

“Well thank you, are you ready to go?”  With a nod we were out the door.

He drove us to the same banquet hall the party is held at every year, Alex obviously not knowing me very well insisted on driving and now I was embarrassed to say we were pulling up in a prius.  Wait 'til the guys see I’ll never live it down.

I jumped out of the car as soon as it came to a stop and distanced myself from the car, hopefully no one would see.

“In a hurry?”  Alex came walking up to me a moment later, setting his alarm.

“Oh, you know.  Just a little chilly.” I lied.

He smiled at me before placing his hand my lower back and guiding me inside.

I felt a strange wave of déjà vu looking around the hall my eyes darting across the room looking for him.  This time so I knew where to avoid.

Or so I told myself.

After dinner and a gift exchange and millions hellos and congratulations I once again I found myself dancing with my dad’s long time friend Paul.  I had my head lying on his shoulder taking in the comfort of my father-like figure.  We discussed my parents leaving and how we missed them but then things got silent;  the tension building before Paul finally said what was on his chest.

“So when you going to tell your dad about this?” He said grabbing at my ring on left hand.

“I may have been avoiding that.”

He gave me a humorless chuckle.

“Well I’m not sure when they’ll be back and I didn’t see a point of making a big deal out of it.”

“Brenna.” He said with a sigh.  I knew what he wasn’t saying, I need to tell them.

“And what about that poor boy?”

“Who?” I looked up at him confused.

“Who?” he scoffed.  “You know who, has been sulking around since you got hitch just dying to see you.”

“I’m not sure I know what you mean.”  I was lying again but I didn’t really want to get into things with Paul.

“The boy cares about you, it’s plain to see, always has been.  And if I remember correctly Miss Brenna you were returned the favor.”

“Yeah will things change Paul, I was younger then.”  I said turning my face away from his, not wanting to meet his eyes.

“We both know things haven’t changed that much, I see it in your eyes.”  I turn my face to his looking at the knowingness in his eyes.