Chapter One

War Front Letters (Lilo Paynlinson) 

(Letter One,

One Week after Liam's departure)  

Louis was rubbing his fingers smoothly over his belly, trying to relax the sudden grumbled pains he was having; he got them at least once a week for many different reasons - eating the wrong foods, walking on his feet for too long or not going to the loo when asked.

He let out a sigh and stretched his aching muscles out in the too large bed that he now had all to himself. The sun was peeking through the crumbled curtains in an attempt to wake anybody on the other side up. It had succeed.

Louis slowly slipped onto his feet, pulling his zip up jumper on as he stumbled out of the small bedroom, and began his wander down to the kitchen for his medication and morning fry-up.

He made sure everything was still in its place once he got down the thin hallway; his laptop still on the table flashing emails like he'd left it, the t.v still on showing the reruns of Friends and the lights still on from Louis' late night snack.

He stumbled over to the fridge and pulled the handle, the small 'click' telling Louis it was open. He began to rummage through the little food left, his nose scrunching up in disapproval and disappointment as nothing in the fridge would fulfil his current needs.

Louis was on dry wafer biscuits, dry crackers and cups of tea because everything else was a struggle to keep down at the moment.

Finally he found a packet of biscuits beside Liam's coffee cup and a spare tea bag hanging in the sugar bowl. 

He guessed it had been flung there in one of Louis' rushed mornings when he was late for work.

Eventually he had his biscuits and tea and settled down to watch the late news for people like Louis who can't be bothered to wake up early on Sunday mornings. Once he was comfortable and had his tea in one hand and biscuits on his chest he was able to surf through the channels for his favourite news network.

He nibbled on his biscuits and sipped his tea whilst waiting to see if anything came up about the deports. Deports such as Liam and, Niall’s current boyfriend, Harry.  

He puffed out his cheeks when the giddy, smiley, and over pampered lady signed off; and he knew wherever Liam was he was still safe and sound.

He heard the mail get pushed through the door and in his haste to get up off the couch he spilled the rest of his tea down the front of his shirt. Ignoring it, he bent down and picked up the mail, then sitting down on the armrest of the couch.

He shuffled through, a frown on his lips. -Bill, bill, oh another bill. Birthday card from grandma Tommo, untitled letter-  

He flipped the letter over and tore the tattered envelope, it was dusty and yellow in colour and it looked like it may have been stuck in mud for a few minutes before being retrieved again.

He pulled the letter open and listened to the thin paper crackle under touch; it looked like it may have been made on the spot out of bark or something.

'Lou,  

Oh what a trip that was!

It took us almost two days to get here and I don't know how long it will take for this letter to get back. Not too long hopefully.

We travelled on the bus for at least sixteen hours before we got to a boat dock, where we then all loaded up onto a fisherman's boat - for more safety I presume. We were on that for most of the trip, and I was really sea sick for pretty much the whole ride. Boats are not my thing, that's for sure.