Chapter four: Decisions

The Elders gave me a few days to rest, and mourn for Flora

The Elders gave me a few days to rest, and mourn for Flora. Ramon was there for me all of those days. Even though it was expected of me to return to the village life quite soon he got my back and made sure I was alright. Yesterday Flora was given back to the great mother and embedded in the earth. I attended her final journey. It was the first time I saw Liam again. He looked terrible, seemed to be very far away. His eye sunken in and dark circles beneath them, he also looked thinner and his muscles seemed stringier. When he found my eyes I barely dared to meet his gaze for I was scared to see the blaming look of my nightmares. But he just stared at me with a single tear rolling down his cheek while giving me a nod. So we shared our sadness silently. I got through it without really noticing much. I preferred the numbness to the pain of loss.

                                                                                                                                         Liam

This morning I was called upon the council, to discuss about my move to the Chukclan. I put on one of my better dresses reserved for rituals. A long skirt with little pearls made out of clay. I walked to the biggest hut where the elders always met. When I stepped inisde they were already sitting around a little fire: My father who took my mothers place with the agreement of the tribe. Lenobia who represented the Chukclan and my warrior mentor Achmun.

"Daughter, you know why we have summoned you today? my father asked.

"Yes I do father." I nodded "You may sit down" I took the empty place between Lenobia and my father. My father started to speak: "It is to be decided, how your education shall continue. You have, as all the other children passed the tribal task of being on your own in the jungle for 3 days with the features of a warrior and a healer. Back then, we let you decide, but today we must consider another possibility." he ended. Lenobia now directly looked at me: " Kira I have told you this before, when I taught you the different healing methods. You have a rare gift, put to use it could help many people. But for that, you would have to learn how to control it." Achmun now continued: "Kira you are good student. Your technique gets better every day, but there is one thing that you do not have which is: Control. You are impulsive and easily provoked. I am sure you will handle it at some point but for now you should consider a way that teaches you control."  "But father I would have to live at the Chukclan, away from my home, away from Ramon and you." I looked at him pleading. He did not anwser, instead Lenobia did "Only for a few years, after your education is completed you will have the chance to travel to all the clans to help them." she ensured me. "I am not ready, please do not make me do this." my voice sounded higher than usual "Kira this is very important. I do not wish to waste your talent as a healer. Lenobia and Achmun would be with you." My father said serious. I did my best not to cry. I didn't want them to think I was weak. I always wanted to please my parents. "But what if I want to be a warrior?" I said in stern voice "I am sorry Kira, but that will no longer be an option. I did not want to do this but: Your warrior education is denied." he sounded final "But father you cannot do this." I said trhough griddet teeth  "I can and I will" he said strickt  "Achmun, please tell him that you want to teach me" I looked at him pleading "I am sorry Kira but I do not decide alone and the council has decided" He said almost apologizing. "Lenobia" I just looked at her, hopping that she'd vote for my wishes. "The great Mother has other plans for you Kira. She did not give you those gifts without a reason. Only she knows. You may not see it now, but later you will understand." I just sat there, feeling more betrayed than ever before in my life. "Kira, clan daughter of the Tiquna you will start your education as a healer at the Chukclan the next rain circle. The council has decided!" My father said solemnly. Lenobia touched my arm but I just got up and walked outside. I ran home and grabbed my bow and arrows and sprinted into the forest. Too angry to cry, too careless to notice my skirt being ripped. I ran on until it became dark around me. I still knew where I was but I only noticed now that I've been running into the wrong direction. Coming to a halt I looked around. Suddenly all my anger vanished when I saw them. It were two men, dragging some one behind them. From their clothes they seemed to be from the Klarasclan. But what they had prisoner I did not know. He seemed male too. But very white and had no patterns. Not looking like us at all except for the body shape. The prisoner suddenly started to scream and tried to rip the ropes but they were bound to tight. I could barely understand what he was yelling. But he seemed desperate. It sounded like the words my mother taught me when I was little. What did the Klarasclan want with him? They didn't seem impressed by his attempt to flee. They had scratches and one had a deep cut at his left arm but apart from that they seemed unharmed. I had taken hiding and only later I would discover that it was the first time I saw a human.