Chapter twelve: The Hunt

I jumped up from where I lay. I had heard steps a few meters away. I dumped the panic that was rising up inside me. There was only one possibly of whom this could be. I sneaked behind a tree and moved on slowly, anxious not to be discovered. I was confused to hear a lot more foot pairs. There must be at least be three others but who? Who could he have convinced to do something like that? I only could think of one. But I had no time to be concerned about who it was, but what they will do when they will find me. They moved quicker and I could see black hair shimmering and hold my breath. I dared not to move any more because they could hear me.

It was stupid and childish but I had no other choice if I didn't want to stay out in the open I had to hide. I pressed myself against a tree and prayed to the goddess they would not discover me.

They will hear me, they will hear me it heamerd in my head, I listened closely, tried to hear beyond my own fast heartbeat. There steps moved around, searched the ground for tracks. Of course they will find something. How could I be so stupid and sleep upon the ground and not on a tree. Because I didn't think that they would catch up that fast I though angry to myself.

I could hear him laugh what made shiver and he called to the others:

"She is still here, she has stayed for the night and is wounded. As if my body has understood what he said, my shoulder stung painfully beneath the bandages and made me remember why I also slept on the ground.

I heard him move closer and my heart beat so fast that it felt like it must jump out of my chest. Suddenly he leaned around and I looked straight in his dark shimmering eyes. He showed me his brightest smile. My body moved faster than my mind. Before he could open his mouth, I turned and ran in the other direction and I could hear him cry out behind me.

"Hurry, we have to get her."
I pulled out my dagger from my waist band with my good arm and spun around. I aimed for the only body that was visible in the green surrounding me. When I threw the knife, I met my goal directly in the shoulder. I heard an angry cry out behind me, but that was all I needed, a little distraction. I jumped through the undergrowth, ran as fast as I could.
I could hear my followers already behind me again. There was no more reason to be quiet so I dashed off, I could feel my leg muscles pulled together, the air was pushed through my lungs and my heart throbbed painfully against my ribs. But I could not slow down.
I considered climbing a tree but I was afraid that I wouldn't make it because of my hurt shoulder.
So I ran on, but suddenly I heard how something whizzed through the air, I knew that sound as well as my own heartbeat, someone shoot an arrow. I wanted to jump away, but it pierced into my right leg.
I barely felt the pain first but as I continued tunning, it hurt and I could feel how it was scratching against my muscle tendon. I ran on but as I jumped over a big fallen tree I but I didn't pulled my leg high enough and fell over it.
I tried to catch the fall but my hands found no support . I rolled curled as a ball and with a thud I landed on my back. 

I barely could breath and it felt like there was a knife in my chest. I fought for every swift of air. Beyond the rushing in my ears I heard them moving closer. After a few heartbeats when I could breathe again I rattled me up and ran on. But I couldn't walk 10 steps far, my sight was blurry and I couldn't find my balance back. The arrow in my leg also hurt too much. I tried to pull the arrow out, but my hands were shaking and because I didn't have time, I did it in one pull. It broke and the sharp end was still stuck inside. I hold back a cry and turned. I had heard twigs cracking.

I quickly spun around to look for an escape option, but too late. They already surrounded me. 3 men, one of them my brother.

I knew all the others from the days of childhood. But now there was only contempt on their faces. It was Liam who held his shoulder and looked like he wanted to rip me apart. In my panic and desperation I tried to reason with my brother. Ramon, escúchame * Listen to me *. I begged. "Why did you do that? She has done nothing to you! How could you?!" His voice got louder with tension. I did not it see coming, but suddenly he slapped me with the flat of his hand right in the face, I struggled back. "You betrayed me and all the others." The punch burned on my cheek and it did not only hurt physically. He has always been the one who protected me. He would have killed everyone who would have dared to hurt me.