Continiued chapter six

Benjamin

Benjamin

Benjamin lay awake in his bed for almost half the night. He was glad when the first shimmers of sunlight broke through the curtains. He got up and dressed himself and rung at the servants bell. Only a few minutes later Jasmin knocked at his door: "Come in" he did his best to let his voice sound normal. She looked angry and a little scared."Oh Jasmin." Ben said and closed his arms around her. Surprised but not stepping back she returned the embrace. "Did he tell anyone? "she whispered into his ear. He was confused, oh but of course she meant James. He had forgotten to tell her yesterday."No he promised he would not say anything." He felt her release her breath." But there is something I have to tell you. James and I overheard our mother talking yesterday. About our finances, and it seems that at some point we will run out of money. And there is only one way to prevent that." he took a deep breath:" I would have to marry Luciana Winster." He spoke faster as if to convince himself "Her family has a lot of money and I can't risk the ruin of my family or the dismiss of all of you. We would have to sell the house you see..." She had said nothing until he ended. He watched her while she straightens her shoulders and her face became blank. Only her eyes told the truth, there were tears in them. " And this is the only way?" Her voice shook a little. " I don't know what else to do!" his voice sounded more desperate. After a moment he said: "I mean it is not uncommon that a man has more than one woman in his life. There are certain arrangements..." his voice trailed of as he saw her face. Her lips became thin and she pulled her eyebrows together. "You want me to become your Mistress?!" her voice rose."You want that I visit you in the nights,in secrecy while you "wife" is asleep?" Benjamin did not know what to do. "God I have no idea of such things. All I want is to be with you." He almost pleaded. Her face softened and she touched his face:"I know, me too" "We will find a suitable solution. It is going to be alright I promise" She laid her head against his chest and mumbled:" Do not promise something you can not keep."