Chapter 1

"Hailey, it's time for school," I heard a familiar voice whisper in my ear.

I turned over in my bed, hoping it was a dream and the voice would go away so I could go back to sleep.

"Come on, sleepy head," I heard the voice say again.

I grumbled and pulled my pillow over my head so I could drown out the annoying voice that was not going away, much to my despair.

"Okay that's it!" I felt my comfy blanket being pulled off of me but I refused to move even as the warmth left my body. Hands were suddenly on my ankles as I was quickly pulled off the bed and I fell on my butt on the floor. I opened my eyes and glared at my sister, Kat, as she stood smiling at me.

"I told you to get up," she said and smiled. I rolled my eyes and got off the floor.

"You are far too happy to go to school," I whined as I walked towards my bedroom door so I could have a shower and begrudgingly get ready for school.

"School is awesome, now get ready so we can go," she sang as she walked back to her room. Of course she was happy, I thought as I got into the shower, everyone loved Kat, she was captain of the volleyball team and the most popular girl in school. 

I always hated living in her shadow, I might as well change my name to Kat's sister, since that's what most people call me, if they noticed me at all.

Today is the worst day of my young life. Its my first day of high school and unfortunately I'm attending a school where Kat dominates.

Kat was attending her first day as a senior and she couldn't wait, although I never understood the appeal. I just wanted to get through high school and get out of this town and finally out of my sister's shadow.

When I was done getting ready for school, I grudgingly made my way downstairs where Kat waited at the bottom of the stairs, a smile on her face as she texted her followers, or as she called them, friends.

"Oh good, ready to go?" she asked happily when she saw me making my way down the stairs.

"No," I scowled.

"Great," she said smiling, ignoring both my mood and my comment. She grabbed her bag and practically skipped out to the car. I don't know where she got the energy or happiness but I was sure I was adopted because there was no way I could be related to her.

I swear as soon as Kat stopped the car in the parking lot at school, it was surrounded by her friends. I got out mumbling to myself, "I'm driving myself to school from now on."

I headed into the school and found my two best friends, Avery and Mel. I was so happy to see them, at least I knew two people in this hellish school.  All three of us had grown up together, I met Avery when we were in preschool and we met Mel when she moved to town when we were in grade two. They were both extremely beautiful, Mel had long wavy brown hair and shimmering green eyes, she was a magnet for boys and used it to her full advantage. Avery had golden blonde hair with green and gold eyes that always sparkled when she smiled, which was the majority of the time. They both had amazing fashion sense, whereas I was happy in a hoodie and jeans, but they did their best to try to break me of that.

"Hey, there you are, we figured you'd skip today," Mel said with a smile on her face as I approached them.

"No such luck, the annoying morning fairy woke me up this morning," I complained and the girls gave me sympathetic looks, they knew what my sister was like.

"Come on, we have an assembly for tenth graders in the gym," Avery said and we walked toward the gym. It was packed with kids that looked about my age, but I didn't know most of them.

As I was looking around, I tripped over someone's shoe and I slammed into a guy's back and I quickly steadied myself before I fell onto the ground. The guy turned around to look at me, and I looked up to see the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen. It took me a few moments to focus but before I could speak, Avery dragged me away to sit down a few feet away from the guy. I couldn't help myself, I looked back at him. He had light brown hair, a little long but it looked so good on him. He was definitely built and I have to say, insanely hot...damn.

"Don't even think about it, he's a player," a girl said next to me and I looked over at her.

"Really?" I asked her, glancing again at the boy, who looked up at me and caught me checking him out. He smiled and winked at me and I looked away blushing.

Before the girl could respond, a balding man, who I knew to be the principal, Mr. Becks, walked to the microphone in the middle of the stage in front of us.

After what seemed to be an eternity, the principal stopped talking and we were all directed to our classes, which we were given a few weeks before school started. I looked at my paper and scowled at my first class...English. Great, not enough that I speak it, now I have to learn about where the words came from.

I split from Avery and Mel and made my way to my first class of high school. When I found the classroom, I walked in and took the first seat I could find. I was looking over my class schedule when I heard someone talking and I looked up and immediately froze when my eyes made contact with...him. They were the same piercing blue eyes that I saw in the gym. He held my gaze for a moment before he walked into the room and took the seat directly behind me.

"I'm Ryan by the way," he whispered and I turned around to face him. A few strands of his brown hair fell in his face and he swept them behind his ear again and smiled a brilliant smile at me. Damn, it is so unfair for one person to look this good!

"Hailey," I responded before I heard the teacher start talking and I turned around to face the teacher. Despite the fact that we were in class, Ryan and I passed notes and whispered throughout the entire class.

Once class ended we walked together into the cafeteria, where we split off, I went to sit with Avery and Mel while Ryan went to the jock table. When I sat down both Avery and Mel's eyes were wide and drilling me for information on why I was walking with the hottest guy in school.

"We were in English together. Come on let's go eat, I'm hungry," I complained, officially ending the conversation.

The rest of the day I had one more class with Ryan and we continued talking and flirting a lot. He was really nice and I was surprised how easy it was to talk to him. I don't have much experience with boys and have never had close friends other than Avery and Mel.

When the school bell rang to end class, Ryan and I left our Science class and walked toward the parking lot, where my sister was leaning against her car with a few of her friends around her.

"Oh, there's my ride. See you tomorrow," I said to Ryan, smiling and running to the car. Both Kat and I got into the car and as soon as I got into the passengers seat I turned around to see my very pissed off sister.

"Why were you with Ryan?" Kat asked, her voice full of rage.

"You know him?" I asked, surprised how she would know someone my age and how someone as nice and hot as Ryan, would make my incredibly happy and bubbly sister, this mad.

"That's Ethan's little brother," she explained, still glaring in Ryan's direction. Shit, I thought as I looked out the side window to see Ryan chatting with a few of his friends, oblivious to my sister's glares.

Ethan was Kat's boyfriend of two years, before he cheated on her and dumped her in front of the entire school.

"Ethan is the devil and from what I hear, Ryan is a player just like his brother. You are not to go anywhere near Ryan again!" she cried and I winced, nodding my head.