Chapter 19

"I heard you were with some guy Saturday night," Avery said, sitting down at the lunch table and looked at me. I almost spit the drink out of my mouth from the shock of what she'd just said.

Ryan shot his head up to look at me from across the table where he was sitting. I held his gaze for a moment before I turned to Mel and glared at her, she shrugged her shoulders and sat next to Hunter, who immediately put his arm around her.

"Oh really, who's the lucky guy?" Hunter asked smiling.

"There's no guy. I left my house and slept in my car," I answered, shaking my head at my nosy friends.

"Yeah right, I didn't believe that answer yesterday, I'm not going to believe it today," Mel said.

"Well you should because it's the truth," I told them, hoping this was finally the end of the conversation.

"Okay you caught us, we hooked up at the party on Saturday," Colin said and smiled at me.

"You two hooked up?" Ryan asked and he caught my gaze and I shook my head.

"We didn't hook up. Oh my god you guys, I went to the party with you guys, then went home to my crazy parents fighting so I took a drive, got tired so I pulled over and slept in my car. Now I'm grounded with no wheels for a week!" I screamed and stood up, leaving the cafeteria quickly.

I heard someone running after me, and I was stopped when a hand was on my wrist and spun me around.

"Are you okay?" Colin asked, still holding onto my wrist.

"I'm fine," I lied.

"Come on Hailey, you can talk to me," Colin said and gave me a reassuring smile.

"I'm just tired of my parents and my sister," I responded and he nodded, putting his arm around my shoulder and led me outside. Before I knew it, we were in his car and parked in front of a small diner not far from our school.

We went inside the diner, sitting at one of the booths and the waitress came over giving us menus. Once we ordered, Colin looked at me and I sighed, unloading all of my stresses onto him, all my school worries, my complaints about constantly being compared to Kat and not feeling good enough in anyone's eyes, my parents getting divorced and my father moving across the country.

"What about you and Ryan?" he asked and I shot my eyes up to him and he gave me a knowing smile.

"You two are both missing at the same time and I saw you kissing outside the party the other day," he said and thankfully the food arrived.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said and started eating.

"I'm not going to tell anyone, Ryan is one of my best friends and I think you two are good together. Why are you hiding it?" he asked and I signed. I felt deflated and I gave in to tell him the truth about Kat forbidding me from even talking to Ryan.

"So you are together?" he asked and I stared at him, not knowing how to answer that question.

"I don't know what we are. Ryan is a great guy but he's a player like his brother," I said, picking up a fry and moving it around my plate so I wouldn't have to look into Colin's eyes.

"Is that what you're worried about?" he asked and I nodded, continuing to play with the food on my plate.

"He's different with you. You're not just another conquest or another piece of ass," he said and I rolled my eyes.

"How sweet, you should knit that on a pillow," I said sarcastically.

"Does Mel and Avery know about Ryan?" he asked and I looked up at him. 

"No, I don't know why I haven't told them but I don't even know what I'm doing, let alone try to explain it to them," I explained and he nodded, taking a sip of his drink. 

We continued to eat and talk, he was actually really easy to talk to and it was nice talking to someone about Ryan and get things off my chest. I didn't want to leave but I knew I was grounded and needed to get home so he drove me home, giving me a hug before I exited the car.

I checked my phone when I got in my room, there were a few messages but the first one I read was from Avery.

I'm sorry - Avery

I immediately texted her back so she knew I wasn't mad at her.

I know - Hailey

Are you okay, I didn't see you in school all day - Avery

I'm okay, Colin and I left school and talked - Hailey

I continued to check my messages and got one I didn't expect.

I missed you at school today - Ryan

Do you want to go to our spot tonight? - Ryan

I can't I'm still grounded - Hailey

I'll pick you up in an hour - Ryan

I laughed and shook my head, even in texting he doesn't listen to me, I thought as I got up to have a shower. I got dressed and heard my parents yelling in the bedroom next door so I snuck downstairs, out the front door and down the block where I jumped into the passengers seat of Ryan's car when I spotted it.

"Colin told me he knows about us," I blurted without even a greeting to him.

"I know, he called me after he dropped you off today. He won't tell anyone," he assured me and I nodded. I put on my seat belt as he put the car in gear and we drove up the mountain to our spot.

We must have spent hours talking and cuddling on the hood of his car, it felt so nice being with him. I don't know how I ever thought he was a liar and cheater like his brother. 

"You know we only have a few weeks left then we're seniors," he whispered in my ear and I smiled, turning my head to kiss him softly.

"I can't wait, Kat will graduate and I will finally get out of her shadow," I said and he nodded.

"I felt like that last year when Ethan graduated, but for you it must be worse because I never had to go to the same high school as Ethan," he said and I nodded, kissing him again.

He started to speak and I stopped him, kissing him passionately and I straddled his legs, moving my hands up and down his torso while he moved his hands up and down my back, making me moan into his mouth.

"You know I was having a real conver--" he started and I shook my head, pulling his shirt over his head and kissing him again.

I got off the hood of the car, pulling his hand so he would come with me and we got into the backseat of his tiny car. I pulled off his pants and put him inside me faster than I thought it was possible, before pulling his head to me and locking his lips with mine.

"You know I'm starting to feel cheap," he said and I rolled my eyes and shook my head. I looked up to him and he had a pout on his face and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"You know all I want you for is sex," I teased and he faked shock and I chuckled again.

"You know you love me," he said and I swatted him with his shirt before he grabbed it and pulled it, pulling me to him. He took me into his arms and kissed me again, with more passion than he ever had before.

My parents barely noticed anything around them as they were fighting more than normal, they even forgot I was grounded so I took my car back and snuck out to see Ryan every night. Kat was too busy dealing with graduation and prom to notice anything her little sister was doing.