f o u r t e e n

"What do you mean 'no'?" Liam approached Scott with furrowed eyebrows.

"Liam, look at her." Scott mused. "She's too weak. It will kill her. We don't even know what the mercury's doing to her. We don't even know if it's actually mercury!" He remained quiet for a few seconds, letting the words sink in to everyone. "This can't be the only way to save her life."

"It saved mine." Liam snapped, his anger playing with the strings of his control.

"That was different. You were hanging off a ledge."

"You promised. You said you'd do everything you could!"

"Which is why I'm not going to do something I think is going to kill her! There has to be –" Scott blinked couple of times, coughing lightly. "There has to –" It seems that another asthma attack is threatening to take over Scott's lungs.

"Scott!" Theo exclaimed, throwing the Alpha an inhaler, which the latter caught and took a good swig out of it.

"There's another way to save her." Scott spoke directly to Liam, seeming to be calmed down.

Then, Hayden starting to take ragged heavy breaths, making us all alarmed.

"Guys, I don't know what the statistics are for surviving a werewolf bite, but she's definitely not surviving this." Theo warned, looking at all of us. "We need to do something."

And so we did, we called Scott's mom. She's been risking her career too often to help us, and we can't thank her enough for that. She brought several medical supplies with her and was placing them around Hayden, who still showed no signs of improvement.

"What's that?" Liam asked with worry evident in his eyes.

"It's called chelation therapy. It removes heavy metals from the blood. The problem is, is that it can injure the kidneys and Hayden has only one to begin with, so..." She proceeded to transfix an intravenous needle into Hayden's vein, after what the latter winced.

"Hey, you're hurting her!" Liam reacted immediately, grasping Melissa's wrist.

"And you're hurting me." She muttered ever so calmly, despite the pain her son's Beta was causing her.

Scott glared at Liam threateningly, causing latter to let go. "Sorry."

"Guys, we're here to save a life." Theo spoke, drawing my gaze to him at the same time. "Not kill each other."

"It's the full moon. We can feel it during the day." Scott explained, trying to excuse his Beta's behavior.

"And it's Supermoon." Theo corrected. Right, perigee syzygy.

"What is that supposed to make you guys, like super strong? Super aggressive?" Melissa asked while hanging a pack with clear liquid on the rack of a drip.

Scott rolled his eyes before answering. "Both."

~

Melissa is still working on Hayden, Theo and Scott had left the surgery room and went to the waiting room instead. I was mingling near the corner, really confused by my own thoughts, mostly about that time when I overheard Theo conversing with the Dread Doctors. It certainly can't be a good thing. The more I stall on it, the more dangerous and uncontrollable the whole situation can get. I need to confront him. Now.

I sauntered towards the waiting room and saw that the werewolves are speaking about something, shadow of concern and fatigue dancing on their features. I didn't try to hide or eavesdrop, so they noticed me right away.

"We need to talk." I spilled while looking at Theo before either of them could say something.

Scott hardened his jaw a bit, giving me and Theo unreadable looks.