t w e n t y t w o

"He sold us out for a jar of glowing blue talons."

These words of Malia couldn't stop ringing in my head.

While everyone were huddling around the table, inspecting the blueprints and security logs of the Eichen House, I sat further away on the sofa, cudgeling my brain over and over.

Just when everything seemed to be falling into places with Theo, even though with him the word 'stability' didn't even exist, things got screwed up again. Nothing can match my desire to stare him right in the eyes and ask him why.

It was selfish and stupid of me to even think that something could work out between us. No matter how much you want something, no matter how much you think you deserve it, you can never be assured that you will get it. Because world is a cruel place, and it seems that the only thing it enjoys and laughs at are people like me.

~

My eyes tore open in the middle of the night, the amplified sound of message ringtone bashing in my head like some monstrous tunes. For a split second I got this horrible feeling as if the world's ending, as I have to be somewhere, generally it's just sudden, severe anxiety. Nothing new.

When I calmed down after some time, I grabbed my goddamn phone and squinted at the light the screen emanated. There were two messages from Stiles.

01:15 "I'm heading to the hospital with Scott, the Beast is there. DON'T leave the house."

01:17 "Crap, sorry if I woke you up."

I rolled my eyes at my unbelievable brother and squinted to see what time is it. It was 01:18, meaning that the action is going on precisely right now.

Am I really going to follow Stiles' instructions and stay home?

Definitely not.

~

It was my personal record to get dressed in three minutes and storm outside, hastily locking the door. I ran like crazy, and seeing that recent times and happenings weren't in my favor, I didn't really care about any potential danger. It was that state when I just wanted things to be done, tired of arranging the situation for the better.

It wasn't going to be any better, so why just not take the chances and see what happens?

Just as I turned around the park and ran my way through a dimly lit alley with these badass thoughts in my head, I heard something that resembled a growl.

That's when I thought I'll start shitting bricks.

I immediately wished I hadn't been so stupid and stayed home in my warm bed, but no, me being me, I just had to do something SO utterly unbelievably stupid. At this very second I wanted to scream and pull my hair out due to how angry on myself I was, but I was too scared to make another step or to even flinch.

Cold sweat ran down my neck as I saw it. It was charging my way at full speed and I could do absolutely nothing about it. Its freezing blue eyes shone in the dark as two tiny blazes of fire, which got brighter and brighter with each second.

It was only when he flew past me with his claws out that I dared to scream and fell down, trying to comprehend whether I'm dead yet. I wasn't, because the creature seemed to slow down before it crawled towards me, hovering its bulky, snarling muzzle over my frame.

I can't describe the feeling that got over me when I looked death straight in its frosty orbs. It snarled at me before it roared loudly, almost making my soul leave my body.