t w e n t y e i g h t

"Vanishing twin syndrome..." Deaton read the medical file while pacing around the animal clinic with me and Stiles.

"This is part of your expertise, right?" Stiles asked hopefully.

"Not particularly, no."

The door opened, making the three of us turn around to face the source of sound, and I immediately regretted doing that.

I can't explain how terrified I was to see the Dread Doctor up close, even if he seemed severely injured, Scott and Liam helping him walk.

"He's still alive." Scott stated, out of breath.

Somehow, all together we managed to lay his enormous metal body on the operating table.

"Can you keep him alive?" Scott questioned, with a glimmer of hope in his voice.

"I'm not sure he technically is alive." Deaton countered, examining the... fine specimen.

"Screw keeping him alive. How do we get him to talk?" Liam asked, scowling.

"Personally, I don't think we utilize torture nearly enough." Stiles added.

Suddenly, a ghostly voice rang in my head.

Come...

I looked around perplexed and scared. "Did you hear that?"

Come to me...

Apparently, they did, and so did the Dread Doctor: in one motion he sat up, his metal parts clanging, releasing an unbearably high-frequency noise, making us all wince in pain and cover our ears.

Everything around started shaking as well, bottles and trinkets falling down the cupboards as the Dread Doctor stood up fully and staggered out of the clinic. Liam tried to stop him but got blasted away with some energy matter, emanating from Doctor's metal palms.

I thought that this was it, he was just going to leave like that, but then all doors shut themselves and started attracting all metal objects, like a magnet. The place was a mess with us cowering on the ground.

Liam stood up again and approached the bunch of instruments and furniture stacked upon the door, but Deaton protested. "Wait!"

Good thing that he managed to warn the Beta in time, because that bunch of metal started to sparkle occasionally, all galvanized.

"It's electrified." Deaton explained, pointing at the source.

There were loud bashing and exploding noises outside, making us wonder what exactly is going on out there.

Scott and Liam, possessing the supernatural hearing, listened on the conversation the Dread Doctor was having with him, with the person who's guilty of this entire ruckus.

The Man of Gévaudan.

"The cane..." Scott breathed out and an image of the Argents popped in my mind.

"But they took it." Liam echoed. "They took the cane."

Later, Scott started to rummage through the medical file once again. "Maybe there's something in here. Something about how he was a genetic chimera."

"Mason had a vanishing twin." Deaton reminded.

"Now we've got a vanishing Mason." Stiles cracked a joke, and if I wasn't already shaken up by everything, I would've laughed.

"What does that have to do with him turning into a 250-year-old French guy?" I questioned, trying to sort facts in my mind.

"How does that even happen?" Liam added.