25) AN ALMOST REUNION

Dedicated to Eulexis because she so wanted me to update. Check out her book Maybe This Time if you're into high school drama :).

I lie on the soft white hotel bed and stare at the cream ceiling. I really don't know what is going to happen. I'm scared and excited. I was to meet Marcus and Trinity at a cafe near Central Park. Am I going to mess it all up? My heart thumps wildly at the prospect of seeing them, especially Marcus.

I look at my wristwatch which reads 11 pm. I'm supposed to be getting rest after that long flight but at the moment I can't seem to fall asleep. At this rate I'm going to show up with black circles.

I sigh and make my way towards the balcony door covered by long curtains.  It is a joint balcony I share with Nico. Hopefully he is asleep by now. A cold wind bites my bare legs but I don't mind it. The city is still alive with bright lights on glass buildings reflecting the dark night sky.

I immediately turn when I hear a door click. I wish I hadn't because I see a shirtless Nicolas with his hair all over his face and a lit cigarette dangling from his lips. He looks startled when he sees me like he hadn't expected to see me. "That's not a good metaphor when you give that cancer stick the power to kill you" I mumble trying my best to not let my eyes wander down his chest. He chuckles but doesn't throw the cigarette away. "How could you get so influenced by that teenage shit?" he mumbles but I don't answer. I watch the smoke drift out from his mouth and I feel dizzy like as if I had been the one to take a hit. I tear my eyes away and stare at the city lights burning like Roman candles in the dark.

"So you're meeting them tomorrow?" his husky voice cuts through the faint city sounds. I look back up at him and nod my head. He offers me a cigarette but I decline. He just shrugs and proceeds to light yet another one.

"Hey! I think that's enough" I say and slap his hand. I didn't expect him to drop the cigarette when I did though. "Sorry?" I say giving him a guilty smile. He just sighs and brushes back his hair mumbling. "What?" I question and his green eyes flashes in the dark. "I can't do this" he says making me befuddled. "What can't you do? Nicolas?" he's a lot closer to me and I can feel his skin radiate heat making me squirm and my heart beat faster. "How do you expect me to control myself when you're here so close to me wearing close to nothing?" I gasp and take a step back. "Nico! I am wearing something and it's not like I'm naked or trying to seduce or anything. You have the wrong idea you idiot!" I'm wearing shorts and a camisole but I don't think there's anything so revealing about that. I hear him growl as he tries to get closer. "Nico! Stop it!" I yell and run back to my room making sure to close the door. I slide down and sit on the floor with my head on my knees. I try to calm down but I just can't seem to get his face out of my head.

-------------------

I walk towards Central Park when I see a white tent that has people streaming in and out. My feet turn automatically and as I get closer I realize it's an exhibition of sorts. I walk into it and at once I feel the harsh white interiors of the tent hurt my eyes. It takes a while for my eyes to adjust but once it does all I see are paintings all over. I don't really know art but I can make out that the paintings are highly polished and artistic. It must be a professional artist. I look at all the paintings in awe. I stop short when I see a particular painting. Its of a blonde woman holding her child on her hip. Her hair is flying in the wind and she has the deepest green eyes I have ever seen. I go to it as close as possible without touching it. The young mother is holding a tiny girl with almond eyes that hold a bountiful of innocence and beauty. I feel like I've seen this portrait before but I can't seem to recall anything in connection to the painting and yet I feel a deep connection with the two in the picture.