Chapter 19

I was so awkward.

My nerves made it where I could hardly open my mouth to kiss him back. He moved away and his grip on me loosened.

"No!" I whispered in protest. "I say redo."

"What?" he asked.

"Let's kiss again," I said, firmly.

He laughed.

"It's not funny," I complained, embarrassed.

"You're so cute," he said, hugging me to him tightly.

"No, I'm not," I muttered. He tipped my chin and then kissed me again. That time was better. I managed to kiss through my nervousness. My lips felt all tingly.

"Do you remember now?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied. "I do."

"Good, I'm glad," he said, a smile in his voice. The rosy red color was floating around the tent.

"What does us kissing mean, Caleb?" I asked.

"It means we belong to each other."

***

I kept thinking back to that night as my English teacher snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Doe," he said. "I asked you what you thought of this chapter."

"It's nice, I guess," I commented.

"Elaborate," he urged.

So I did. He seemed pleased with my response.

"You've been making quite a bit of progress," he gushed. "I'm very proud of you. Can I ask what's been making you so happy?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, hesitantly.

"Doe, when I first met you, you were very moody and dark," he replied. "Now you're suddenly coming out of your shell and acting different. Why?"

"It's not healthy to stay sad forever," I muttered.

"Well, I'm glad you're getting better," he said. "Losing parents is a tough thing. But you're recovering and it's good."

***

"Hi, honey!" Caleb said, kissing my cheek. I looked down shyly.

"Hi, Caleb," I whispered.

"Feisty, I've never seen you this nervous around me," he commented.

"Don't get used to it," I snapped. "I'll be back to my old self soon." I began to walk away from the office.

"Well, we need to talk about your old self," he said.

"Oh?"

"Which 'old self' do you mean?" he asked. That was an interesting question. I was referring to cold Doe but... did I really feel that way still? Wasn't I striving to be happy again?

"I... I don't know."

***

"Doe! Dinner is ready!" my mom calls. I stop playing video games, my stomach growling. I walk over to the dinning room table.