Chapter 35

"Caleb, we were supposed to meet an hour ago!" I said--well, more like snapped--at him.

"That's not how it came across in your messages," he replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Do tell me how it wasn't clear here," I said, taking out my phone and showing him the messages.

"Right there," he pointed. "You put two o'clock instead of one."

"I fixed it right there!" I said, pointing to the correction.

"Yeah but then you see that 'what?' message you ignored while continuing to send me a paragraph about plans?"

"I didn't ignore," I snapped. "I obviously didn't see it! But you couldn't bother to remind me to answer your question?"

"Are you on your period? Because this argument is ridiculous."

That pissed me off.

"Am I on my period?" I snapped. There was a red haze surrounding my vision and I wanted to blow up in anger. "Go to hell."

"Doe!" Caleb called after me. I didn't care to stop storming away from him. He could find Violet's house himself.

I had wanted to go on a date with him and then go to the mini "party" we were invited to which just consisted of Caleb's friend group--safe to say my friend group now, and Nory.

But Caleb ruined it.

***

"Hey," I said to everyone and fell down next to Nory in an angry huff onto the couch. All my friends looked at me concerned in the circle they had formed.

"You all right, sweetums?" Charlotte asked me.

"Caleb pissed me off," I snapped.

"What'd he do?" Manny asked.

"It doesn't matter. I rather he is here to defend himself than say things to make him look bad. He'll be here soon."

And as I predicted, ten minutes later there was a knock on the door.

"Well speak of the devil!" Violet said teasingly as she led him into the living room.

"Hey," he said to all, though you could tell he was grouchy. I didn't make eye contact with him. I just continued to talk to Nory.

"You're not going to even look at him?" Nory asked, laughing.

"No, I'm petty like that," I said, shrugging. Even Jake started laughing, being that he overheard me say that.

"All right guys, we're going to play spin the bottle!" Violet said. "Lovebirds like Doe and Caleb do not have to give kisses on the lips. The rest of us have to--unless you don't wanna."

I felt a twinge of guilt when she said that. I know she has issues with consent after everything that happened to her with Mr. Russell.

That stupid prick.

We all sat around in a circle and Caleb sat across from me. I still didn't look at him even though I wasn't even that angry anymore. I just wanted to hug him and makeup but at the same time, my pride was swollen too big to do so.