Chapter 24

How is it possible for a heart to feel this heavy?

Dread filled me. This was my only chance to make a getaway. But I had to say goodbye. Somehow, I had to.

Caleb was laying next to me in bed the next morning, while we listened to music together. I reached over for his phone and paused it.

"Hey," I said, softly. "How do you feel?"

"I feel all right," he said, giving me a strained smile. "You?"

I got to it. "You mean a lot to me, Caleb. I don't know how over a course of a few weeks you've gotten me to care about you so much but you have. Thank you for getting me to care again."

"Nothing could've made me happier," he responded, kissing me sweetly. I wanted to melt, to give into the sensations I was feeling--the warmth and the safety--but I couldn't.

I pulled away and laid my head on his chest.

He resumed the music until I heard and felt him fall asleep. I got up and moved away from him.

"Thank you," I whispered, giving him a final kiss.

***

I knew the police officers had a shift change after a while. It was a quick change, though, so I had to be quick as well. I opened the door a crack to see that they were already walking down the hall. When they got into the elevator I left the room.

I walked quickly to the stairs and then ran down them.

How will I pass my grandparents? I peeked into the lobby and saw my grandparents walking out with other officers.

Maybe they're getting food?

I watched them leave and other police officers go to the elevator. The two police officers who were just watching over us left the elevator as the other two got in. The two that got out were going to be on guard of the lobby.

I quickly ran to the back entrance of the hotel and sped away before the even noticed I was around.

I've done it... I've actually done it.

I was walking straight to my death.

***

I'm here, I texted him, and then put my phone into my back pocket. Breathe. Just breathe.

I sat down on my parents' grave and decided to actually say a few words to them before that man came and snatched me away.

"Hey guys," I whispered. What a way to start off! "I loved you more than you could ever know. But I'm a bit angry at you." I paused and listened to my surroundings, expecting to hear footsteps any second.

"See, you left me in this world to suffer alone. You left me in this world with this menace who calls himself a man and now I'm going to suffer. So thanks for that."

Another pause.

"I know that I'm being a little harsh and unfair. I'm just bitter. I'm bitter that the last moments of my actual life will be me talking to you, being that you're dead. So that..." A lump in my throat formed and I started crying.

"I just wanted a normal life. I never asked for this to happen to me! I just wanted to be happy and now I'm never going to be happy again. I may die today! I'm terrified! So terrified! Was this how you felt?" The ground responded by rumbling. A car was nearby.

He's here.

"Thank you for being the best parents I could've ever had," I mumbled. "Maybe I'll see you soon."