Never Say Die

Alex's P.O.V

He smiled at me as i sat next to him. I tied Max to the leash, afterwards petting his dog.
"Why are you here again? Doesnt Bennie get tired of walks?" i asked.
"Nope. Shes a trooper. Loves walking" he smiled.
His smile was so warm and gentle.
"She's a well trained dog" I said smiling.
"I wish I could say the same for Max"
We both laughed.
"What brings you out here on such an ugly, typical Vancouver day?" He asked me, smiling.
"Well, I need to get out of the house more often, and I don't quite have any friends here yet..." I said a little nervous. I don't want Josh to think I was a loser. Or a loner.
"Ahh, you have me! I'm your friend" he smiled, and I did too.
It's like his smile was contagious.
"Why are you out here?" I asked him. Bennie rolling around in the wet grass, occasionally eating it.
"Well, I'm having a little bit of a stressed out time in my life... People call it a 'mid like crisis?'"
He seemed so serious, but the way he uses words makes me crack up.
I have him a dry laugh.
"Oh? What's going on that a dog park can help repair?"
He looked down at his feet.
I felt the tension rise, and the awkwardness begun. I decided to drop the subject.
"Um..." I cleared my throat.
"Anyway, I'm going to party tonight with a colleague, maybe you'd want to come? Escape your 'mid life crisis?'" I felt like asking him to this party might help him find a happier side to his 'crisis' right now.
"Party? Will there be drinks?" He asked. I nodded
"I don't drink, but that means other drunk people making fools of them selves! I'm in!" He smiled.
"Perfect! Can I see you back here around... 8?" I asked.
"Yeah sure! How do I need to dress?" He asked.
I gave him the most unusual answer, but I live my it.
"An 80's stripper."
All he did after that was smile.
"Got it."
I smiled to him. He looked empty inside, something I'd feel responsible to fix with him. Maybe this party will bring him some sort of joy? Happiness? Hell, maybe even a hook up or sex.
"Hey, I have this book on German Shepards back at my apartment. I was about to get one, but I got this crazy pup. Maybe you'll like it?"
"Yeah, that'll help me train my goofy rascal!"
He stood up. I didn't know we'd go now?
"Um now?" I asked
"Yeah! Come on!"
We walking down the street to his place, small talk here and there. Max was following, sniffing Bennie's ass every now and then.
We got to Josh's place and he told me to stay outside.
I nodded, and sat on a bench nearby. A few minutes passed when I saw a girl walk out, looking like a mess. She was walking crooked, had her shirt on inside out. She looked like a hooker.
"Who the fuck are you." She asked me. I didn't do good with confrontations.
"Um... I'm uh... Josh's friend" I said nervously.
Just that moment, Josh came out of the building, furious.
A man I recognized as Matt Webb came walking out too, however shirtless.
"Josh, I'm sorry!" He said.
I wonder what happened.
"No Matt! How could you sleep with her?! After all this! My ex?! Come on man!!"
Oh god. I stayed quiet, observing the situation.
"Josh, please..." Matt said.
The girl who Matt had apparently slept with got in her car, and left.
"Alex, let's just go." He was walking fairly quickly and I had a hard time following without running.
"Okay Josh, take your time, cool off! I'll be here writing you an apologetic card!" Matt yelled.
I wonder what happened?