Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don't own the Fosters, I don't know Teri Polo. My life is sad...

November 3, 2003

Something was wrong. I could feel it. I started rolling around and didn't feel Lena's skin against mine. I slightly opened my eyes. She wasn't here. "Lena..." I moaned. She had kept her promise. She did finish what we started and now I wanted to kiss her. "Lena..." I moaned again. Quiet foot steps came up the stairs. The door was pushed open. I was still laying on my back when she came over and bent down, her head directly above mine. She bent down farther and our lips met softly. I exhaled and asked her, "why did you get up? Why didn't you stay with me?"
"I made you breakfast, beautiful." She said with a smirk.
"Oh, love, you did enough last night." I said and bit my bottom lip.
"Oh sweetie, we can't do this EVERY night." she said giving me that angel look.
"I don't see why not." I said innocently.
"Oh I don't disagree, but I'm sure the kids want us too." She said, always thinking about our 3 children, currently 4 since Lexi had stayed over.
"Oh those rascals? They ruin it all." I said joking. "Oh! No, no, no, I have to work today."
"No, Stef please don't go." She whined.
"Oh, babe, as if I wanted to. Roberts is on my nerves, but hey I was at work and who did I meet? Mariana and Jesus and look how great it is." I said and smiled. "Now lay down with me, you hot angel."
"My pancakes are gonna get cold." She said seriously.
"Lena, I love you but that was gross."
"I don't care, I love you." She replied with a smile as she lay down beside me. She put her head on my chest and I started to kiss the top of her head.
"I have off tomorrow you know," I said hoping we could have time together.
"Oh you do know?" She asked with that smile I love.
"Uh huh, maybe have a date afternoon or something?" I offered.
But before she could answer, four little kids barged in and jumped on the bed.
"Morning babies!" I said with a hug for each of them. When I got to Mariana, she hugged me back. She felt comfortable with me. I looked over at Lena, she was hugging Brandon, my son, our son, Mike's son too. I smiled when I saw Brandon and Lena together. "Did you get your 'beauty rest' ladies? Because you look beautiful." I said to Lexi and Mariana with a smile. They nodded, and moved around to get more hugs.
"Who made breakfast?" Jesus asked.
"Mama." I said still stuck on the fact that Lena woke up before me to make breakfast by herself. Usually she'll make eggs and I'll make mostly burnt pancakes. "We'll be down in a minute." I yelled after them as the 4 kids ran down the stairs. I go to kiss Lena on the cheek, but she twists her head and my lips land on hers. I move my hand to the side of her face and she moves hers to the center of my back. When we broke apart, I smiled and she smiled back. We got up and held hands as we sashayed down the stairs, made a right, went down a few other stairs and went left into the kitchen. She sat me down on a stool and I felt like a princess. She placed a plate of pancakes, bacon, and fruit with a cup of coffee. I take a sip and smile. "It's perfect, love. Thank you." I stood up to put my plate in the sink, but Lena jumped up and took it from me like I had been shot and couldn't carry anything. I walked upstairs, opened the closet and pulled the uniform top off the hangers and the pants out of the drawer. I changed into everything and put my hair in the braid. I walked back to the closet and typed the combination into the safe door and pulled out the gun. I stuck it in my bag so I wouldn't scare Mariana. I walked downstairs. Lena was in the kitchen with the kids. "So Lexi's dad will be here at 11 to get her. Thanks for coming, sweetie." I said to her. "Babies, I have to go to work, so I'll see you all later." I hugged Brandon, who smelled like sweat. "Take a shower, B, okay?" He nodded. I hugged Jesus. He smelled 100 times better. I then hugged Mariana, "I love you." I whispered into her ear.
"I love you too, mommy." She said with a smile.
Lena followed me into the foyer to say goodbye. I was quickly checking emails on my phone as she walked toward me. She put her arms around me and kisses me. "Stef Foster, you and that phone." She said.
"I'm sorry. You are more important than Roberts I suppose." She said and gave me that look like she was really going to kiss me. She pushes her head forward as we met in a passionate kiss. "Lena..."
"Yeah, babe?" She replied.
"I love you more then words and I can't imagine life without you." I pecked her lips.
"I don't want you to leave Stef," she complained.
"How about I make it up tonight?" I said with a devious grin.
"Yes please." I said. "Now get to work. If you're late, Roberts might put you with Mike."
*That night, Stef gets home. Dinner is ready.*
The back door swings open and I turn around.
"Stef!" I screamed like a little girl as I ran up to her and gave her a huge hug. "Kids! Mom's home!" 6 little feet came running in from different rooms.
"Mommy!" Brandon cheered. I thought of Brandon's special connection with Stef as I watched Her bend down and open her arms wide for Brandon to dive into. He did, and she wrapped her arms around her little boy. Mariana was next, as she hugged my partner I wondered if she now had a better connection with Stef than with me. No, Lena, stop. It doesn't matter, Mariana loves you both equally, I reminded myself. Jesus was last. He giggled when Stef hugged him. She grunted as she stood back up. "Getting old sucks." She joked. I barely heard her. Why was she so beautiful in that uniform? She walked towards me and we hugged again.
"I love you babe." I whispered to her so we were the only ones who could hear.
"Love, I adore you." She whispered back still hugging. "How about that time tomorrow? Can you take the day off? Maybe just the afternoon?"
"Sanchez has his staff meeting tomorrow morning during free period for the high school teachers." I thought thinking of tomorrow's agenda.
"And the middle and elementary school's?" She asked.
"That's Tuesday." I told her.
"Well, I will be seeing you Miss Adams, precisely at 12:00, yes?" She asked.
"Yes officer." I smirked.
"Mommys?" We looked down and saw Brandon. Brandon warmed up to me about a year ago when he realized his mom, his best friend, wasn't going to be taken away from him by me.
"Yeah, B?" Stef asked.
"I have a science project due tomorrow." He said with a smile.
"Well let's see it, Mr. Foster," I said with a smile.
"That's the thing..." He said, his smile turning into a frown.
"You haven't started have you?" Mariana, the obvious studious twin, stated.
"Yeah what Mari said." He said. I looked at Stef, she gave me the 'that's not gonna happen to night' look. So much for her making it up for leaving me to work.
"B, you gotta make sure we know ahead of time." She told him.
"It was in my assignment pad which you sign every night so I don't know how this is my fault." He defended himself.
"Brandon Foster! This is every bit your fault, young man." She scolded him. "You need to be more responsible."
"Stef, please don't yell." I said to her and she looked up.
"I'm sorry, my love." She said.
"Let's eat dinner, then you and Brandon can do his project, which mister, I'm very disappointed about, and I'll take care of Mari and Jesus," I directed. "Mari, I know you did all your homework, but Mr. Jesus, did you?"
"It's the weekend mommy." He smiled.
"Fine. Dinner's ready Fosters!" I said.
"Oh, lasagna!" Stef said and smiled. "My favorite! Wow, what did you do? My favorite breakfast and dinner. Interesting." Jesus grabbed the ketchup out of the fridge and sat down. He sprayed it all over the lasagna. "Oh Jesus, seriously dude? Mom worked really hard on that." Stef said. "But Brandon, pass the Tabasco, babe."
"Really Stef?" She complained.
"Kidding, kidding. Love, it's okay." She assured me.
*after dinner, Brandon's project is completed, and the kids are in bed.*
I poured a cup of wine for Lena and myself. We sat down in our spots we had agreed on when we bought the house we currently live in, Lena sitting upright with feet on the coffee table, me, laid out across the couch, feet on her legs as we discussed the day.
"You know, we should skip this part of the routine, jump straight to bedtime." Lena suggested.
"Lena, I'm 29 years old. I don't has a bedtime." I reminded her.
"Hold up, you were 22 when Brandon was born?" Lena asked.
"Wow, love, you are slow." I smiled.
"Well how old were you when You married mike?" She asked more questions.
"19, and see it didn't work out, we were way to young. I stopped loving him way before I met you." I told her. "As if that mattered my favorite age was 26."
"Really? Whys that?" She looked serious.
"And you work with children." I said partly joking, partly serious. "Lena, how old was I when I met you?"
"26." She answered. "Wait wait you were 26 when we started dating."
"And you were 25. I dated young." I smiled and sat up and kissed her softly.
"You know something?" She asked.
"What?" I wondered.
"I've married my best friend before," she told me.
"It better be me." I said.
"Who else would it be?" She asked. I sat up for real this time and put my wine down. I took Lena's wine from her. "Stef, I wanted that." She acted like a child. I shut her up with my lips. I put my arms around her neck. She looked up. "We can't do this in the living room."
"Why?" I whined.
"The kids know they can come downstairs. They know they have to knock to enter our room."
"Rascals! I told you they ruin it all." I kissed her and pulled her up. She fell back on the couch and reached for her wine. I hit her hand and she looked up surprised. "Miss Adams, as an officer, I direct you to stand up and keep your hands behind your back and take yourself up the stairs and make an immediate left into the empty room."
"Yes officer." She bit her bottom lip. She put her hands behind her back and I held onto them, slightly touching her butt. I let her go and she turned around and put her arms around her waist and pulled me down onto the bed. I fell on top of her and I rolled around so she was on top of me. She laid her forehead on mine and dropped her lips. I put my elbows on her shoulders and my hands in her hair. I love the feeling or everything, this 28 year old was my best friend. She rolled to the side and she held my hand. My eyes shot open.
"I have to go pee." I said.
"Wow, Stef way to ruin the moment." She smiled.
"Now I will be right back. You need to stay right here." I directed. I went to the bathroom and when I walked out, I saw her reading a book. "Good girl! I like that you obeyed directions." She threw the book. "Miss Adams!" She opened her arms And I dove in. I rolled over her and pulled her with me and she landed on top of her. I bent my knees and hugged her. I kissed her and took off my pants. Lena had her jeans on and she was unbuttoning them as we were kissing. She kicked both pairs off the bed. I opened my eyes and she opened hers. I smiled and started playing with the bottom of her tank top. She grabbed the bottom of my favorite purple shirt. She pulled it up past my belly button. She kept pulling it up to where I needed to take my arms out. I did this, and she pulled it around my neck and over my head.
"Way to ruin my hair." I said when I had a chance to breathe. Lena, who still had her tank top on, started to massage my head. I moaned. Lena was my world, she knew this too. She clapped twice and the lights turned off. "Oh, nice touch." I said and smiled. I did the same routine Lena did with my shirt to her tank top. I sat up and she sat with me, the blanket covering us. We stared at each other for a while, but then I started to cry.
"Stef, sweetie, what's wrong?" She asked me grabbing my hands.
"Nothing, you know I cry for no reason sometimes." I defended myself rubbing my eyes.
"No, you never cry Stef, what happened?" I asked again.
"Today, was so hard. I was at work and I got a call from my brother, he told me my mom got in a really bad car accident. Then, Roberts called me into her office. She told me that Sandy was having surgery and she was putting me with mike for a while. I wasn't even late." I said with a small smile.
"Sharon? Is she okay?" Lena asked
"No, she's in the hospital, I have to go to Florida Lena, it's my mom, I have to go. She was my best friend until I met you." I said.
"I know and I'm coming with you."
"The kids?" I reminded.
"Brandon can stay with mike and the twins can stay with your dad." She told me. "We'll only be as gone as long as we need to."
"Thanks for being a saint." I said with a smile.
"It's what I live for. Now can we continue? You have a lot to make up for." She said.
We fell back to the bed and it grabbed her. He held the keys to my heart and she was unlocking it. Lena turned me around, spooning me and put her hand on mine. We usually sleep like this, taking turns with who's in front. I liked both being in front, feeling loved, wanted, and belonging, all which Lena poured unto me, and being in the back, protecting her. I fell into a deep sleep with the warmth of Lena's skin on me, smelling her flower perfume, hoping she could smell my vanilla perfume, too.