Chapter 7

Disclaimer: I'm just not okay with the fact that I don't own the Fosters, meaning I don't know the fabulous ladies that this is about, meaning it hurts my heart...

WEDNESDAY-November 13, 2003

*STEF*

Lena's head was on my chest when I woke up. "Morning, beautiful." I said to her.

"Morning, babe." She said, now laying on her stomach and looking at me. "How'd you sleep?"

"Just fine. You?" I replied.

"Wonderfully." She answered.

"I still can't believe you carried me in on Sunday." I said still astonished.

"Why? You're as light as a feather. Plus, I love you enough to do that." She told me.

"I am sooo not light." I said.

"But you kinda are." She said. I smiled. "What days do you have off this week?" I always have 2 days off every week. 

"Today and Saturday." I replied.

"I can't today!" She exclaimed.

"No! You have to!" I whined.

"I can't Karina moved the elementary school meeting to this morning and I already promised Mariana I would eat lunch with her and Lexi. The middle school teachers can't do it this morning, so they're in the afternoon. It's gonna be a late night. Can you pick the kids up from school?" She asked.

"Only if I can see you." I said.

"Fine, 3:15. Don't be late, I only have 10 minutes." She said.

"Okay," I said biting my bottom lip. I had something special already planned.

*LENA*

Beep! The noise startled me. Beep! The noise came again. I picked up my phone. "Hello?" I asked.

"Did somebody order a pizza pie?" The person asked with a fake Italian voice.

"Hey, Stef." I said, knowing right away.

"Love, I miss you!" She said into the phone.

"I miss you more." I said.

"Can we have fun tonight?" She asked.

"I don't see why not." I said. "Oh wait Brandon has dinner with Mike."

"That's fine, we can wait until he gets home." She said.

"I'll pick up something special on the way home." I said.

"K, babe. Love you." She said.

"Love you too." I said. "I gotta go."

"No you don't." She told me.

"Yes I do!" I told her. "Really, I'll see you at 3:15." I reminded her.

"Don't act like I forgot." She said. "I love you."

"I love you too." I replied. "Bye." I hung up and Mariana came into my office.

"Hey, Sweets." I said. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Mrs. Bryant let me out for a bathroom break and I just wanted a hug." She told me.

"Are you sure that's it?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm failing science, but yeah, I wanted a hug." She said.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"I. Am. Failing. Science." She said slowly.

"I heard you. Mariana, how could you be doing such a thing?" I asked.

"The living and nonliving stuff is so hard!" She excalimed. Then it hit me.

"Wait! Mariana, you're in kindergarten. How could you be failing? You don't even get As or Bs." I told her.

"Well I have an I." She replied. In Kindergarten, an M is an A or high B. A P is a low B to a high D and an I is a low D to an F.

"I'm gonna call, Mommy." I said. "Come get that hug." I opened my arms and she jumped out of her chair. She ran across the room and jumped in my lap.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

Brushing the hair out of her face, I said, "We're gonna work on this grade. I want at least a P by the end of the marking period." She nodded. "Now get back to class. Mrs. Bryant is gonna think you fell in."

*STEF*

My phone started vibrating in my lap. Vrrr, Vrrr it continued to shake my leg. I answered. "Hello?"

"Stef!" The cheerful voice said.

"Love!!" I exclaimed. I was relieved to hear her warmth of her voice. "What's up?" We had just talked like 20 minutes ago, I'm not complaining but it seemed weird.

"Well, Mariana just came in my office to tell me she has an I in science." She said.

"I'm no genius, but isn't an I equivalent to an F?" I asked her, concerned.

"Mmhmm." She replied.

"I'll talk to her later. I wish you were here, I wouldn't have to be watching the news." I said.

"Go see your dad, Stef. Get up and go see him." She told me.

"You know we really aren't talking," I said to her.

"Yes, I know, change that Stef. You can tell him how you feel, bring him lunch, do something." She told me.

"Fine, I still gotta book my flight," I reminded her.

"I'll do that now." She said to me. "I'll email you the details. Can you take off Friday-Monday?" She asked.

"I already have Monday and Saturday off, but ya, Sunday and Friday should be fine." I said. "I gotta go see my dad apparently."

"Yes you do." She told me. "I love you." She said.

"I love you more." I replied. "Bye." I hung up and sighed, Lena was gonna ask me about my dad's. I may as well go.