Dear 1: One Ok Rock What?

Just tell me why baby
They might call me crazy
For saying I'd fight until there is no more

- The Beginning

"Fureri wo fukunda senkougankou wa kankakiteki shoudo."

"What?" I stopped sketching and glanced at my bestfriend who's singing a song I can't decipher the heck it is.

"Blinded, I can't see the end. So where do I begin?" she continued, she didn't heard me because she's wearing her earplugs. Bet the volumes too high 'cause I can hear the grumbling sound but I can't understand it.

"Ellie!" I tapped her head using my pencil.

She pulled off one of her earplugs. "What?"

"Stop singing. I can't understand it, besides you sound like a crying cow." I rolled my eyes heavenwards.

"My goodness, Winter. You're so mean to me! Are you really my bestfriend?!"

"Of course, darling. I'm just saying the truth. By the way, what's that song?" I stopped sketching and closed my sketchbook.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you 'cause I'm carried away singing. The Beginning is the title of the song. It has Japanese and English lyrics."

"So, that's why I can't understand you. And honestly, you're a terrible singer."

"Duh. God gave you a golden voice but too bad you can't dance like the way I do. You sucked at dancing." Now tell me, who's mean now?

"Fine. Who sang that song?" I looked at her tab. "One Ok Rock? How do you pronounced it?"

"Yup! It can be One Ok Rock or One O-K Rock. Since they're Japanese it's like saying One O'clock the Japanese way." She grinned at me.

"How did they got that name?" I asked curiously.

"They used to practice at around one o'clock in the morning because the studio rent is cheap at that time when they are just a start-up band."

"Wow, looks like you already got some info about them."

"Not that much. Here, listen to their song. I'm sure that you will love them. Their vocalist got that golden voice but I'm rooting at their guitarist who's also the band leader." She said while giggling. I put the other earplug on my left ear. We're here sitting under the tree at Ellie's backyard.

Say another word, I can't hear you
The silence between us, nanimo you ni utsuteru dake
I take this chance that I make you mine
Tada kakusenai mono kazatta youni misekaketeru

Oh my God. That voice is like talking to my soul. His voice makes me envious. I continued listening until I came up to this verse.

Just give me a reason to keep my heart beating
Don't worry it's safe right here in my arms
Kudaketenaide saitte chitta kono omoi wa
So blinded I can't see the end

I listened until the song ended. Though the rhythm is rock the song lyrics' a bit sad. It's like a ballad masked with a rock sound. I fell in love with the song right away. I want to know the guy behind that heavenly voice.

Just as I was about to return Ellie's earplug, I remember that my mother, actually my stepmom is expecting me on dinner together with my Dad. My real father, he is. I called my stepmom Mom because she's like a real mother to me. My real mother died when I was born.

"Oh crap! I need to go Ellie. They're expecting me to go home before dinner. Thanks for the bonding."

"You're always welcome, Winter. My humble home is always open for you, besides it's vacation so we can still hang out more often."

"Sure thing! Bye!" I stood up to get my bike resting nearby. I put my sketchbook on my measenger bag. My house is just few blocks away from hers so a little biking won't hurt.

"Take care!" Ellie waved with a big smile on her face.

***\m/***

"Just in time for the dinner, sweetie." Mom said after I hastily went inside the house. My stomach growled at the smell and sight of our sumptuous dinner at the dining table.

"The food makes me hungry now. They all smell delicious!" I smiled at her and kissed her on the cheek. Dad came in from the garden based on the garden tools he's handling.

"Having a good time with Ellie?" he asked while washing his hands. He loves gardening.

"Yes, Dad. She introduced me to this Japanese rock band. I think I want to learn some of their songs." I have a Youtube channel where I cover some of the songs of my favorite rock bands and artists.

"Japanese band? Well, that's new because you used to listen to foreign bands like Simple Plan and Linkin Park. What's the name of the band?" He sat at the dining table after cleaning.

"One Ok Rock." I smiled at him.

"Like one o'clock?" Mom asked. She already put all the food on the table.

"Yes. Ellie said that they got the name because they used to practice at one o'clock in the morning."

"That's interesting. But first, we need to eat now. Guess the both of you are very hungry."

"Dinner time!" Me and Dad both said. Mom just smiled lovingly at us.

After dinner, I voluntarily washed the dishes. We ate Graham Cake dessert afterwards.

Mom and Dad were still in the living room watching a movie so I kissed them goodnight and went upstairs. I'm so eager to open my laptop and search for that band in Youtube and Google.

After I put on my sleepwear, I open my laptop and search ONE OK ROCK at Google and on Youtube. I also opened my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. Multitasking, it is.

"Takahiro Moriuchi the vocalist, Toru Yamashita the guitarist, Ryota Kohama the bassist and Tomoya Kanki the drummer. They had former members too named Alex and Yu."

"What? Ryota is the youngest member? I thought it's Tomoya!" Based on their looks and some of their docu vids on Youtube, I thought Tomoya is the youngest member because they always bullied him. Ryota's beard makes him look older.

I checked their old vids wherein Toru used to rap. So cool! Taka is so short, I bet he's 5'6" in height. I'm an inch smaller than him.

I typed The Beginning on the YouTube search bar. Even the music video is a bit sad, the guy died. It's like he gave his heart (it looks like a crystal, tho) to the girl and then slumped on the sand. They're on a beach by the way.

"I wish they have the full english version of this song." So I typed again on the search bar.

It turned out, the band Against The Current made an English full cover of ONE OK ROCK's The Beginning. Now, I fully understand the whole song. And I'm right, the lyrics' so sad.

"So, Taka featured in ATC's song Dreaming Alone?" I thought to myself.

I smiled widely at the screen because Taka is also featured at Simple Plan's song Summer Paradise.

Wow. Taka is really a good singer after all. Feels like I'm having a crush on his voice.

His voice or to him?

I dismissed the thought and check their other videos. I found a full video of their concert in Yokohama. The stadium's so jam packed! They must be so famous in their country Japan.

While watching the vid, I feel like I'm one of those people in the crowd who sings, jumps and raise hands in the air. They're really good at performing live.

And I can't take my eyes off of Takahiro Moriuchi.

_____

Yay! How's the first chapter, guys? Leave some comments and violent reactions, lol Winter is so mean to Ellie sometimes.