12; so lame

Your first day at Kitagawa Daiichi, you still remember it.

Making friends was hard. When you tried to talk to others they either made excuses or simply chose to ignore.

So when lunch break came you searched for a vacant spot and ate by yourself sulking.

There must be someone who doesn't care about the rumours going on and wants to be friends.

While chewing your lunch a group of three boys sat down on a bench around the corner.

They couldn't see you but you could hear them clearly.

"Hey, hey are you going out with that girl? She was cute!"

"I was only talking to her once. It's starting to get annoying. As if life only consists of love relationships."

It picked your interest. A boy that wasn't interested in love? Or at least he seemed to be sick of it.

You peeked around the corner to get a glimpse of your new potential friend.

Dark hair, sharp eyes, seemed to be the serious type.

"Was that a weak spot?" One of the boys remarked with a grin.

"Maybe he's too conscious of our captain."

The other guy stated, glancing at the dark haired male eating his lunch unbothered, before continuing.

"I would be at least. Being childhood friends with the most popular guy at school... I'd be thinking every girl that came my way would only ask about Oikawa."

"Speaking of the devil, why isn't he here?"

The boy put his food aside and took part in the conversation again.

"He's in the gym, training again."

"Are you serious, he's been training non stop lately."

"Yeah, I've wanted to go talk with him."

He stood up, taking his lunch box and before leaving he spoke once more.

"Besides isn't it more unfortunate to only be liked for looks? I'm thinking, being popular has quite a lot of disadvantages as well."

When you wanted to go after him, turning around the corner with your things packed underneath your arm, you realised another thing.

He's athletic.

Even though he was only a few seconds ahead, you weren't able to spot him.

You decided to give up for now, you would see him again surely.

Wanting to head back to the classroom, someone called after you.

Turning around you saw a boy blushing heavily, fidgeting on the spot.

He didn't seem familiar, though that was natural since it was your first day here at this school.

"Ehm well, I... I like you! I don't care about what other people say! Please go out with me!"

You saw this one coming. Looking around you didn't see anyone else, so you could speak honestly...

"Thank you but I'm sorry, I can't go out with you. I-"

"So the rumours are true after all, huh? First you attract them and when they fall you reject them!"

"That's not-"

"How is it not true?! You don't want to go out with me, right?! You're rejecting me, right?!"

"Yes but you didn't even listen to my reasons!"

"I don't need your rotten reasons! They're just hallow excuses anyway!"

Deeply hurt and astonished you couldn't talk back. Why is everyone like that?

Suddenly a familiar voice cut through.

"Doesn't sound like you don't care about rumours. It doesn't even sound like you really like her!"

You looked behind you to see the boy that you were looking for just a little while ago.

"If you liked her, you'd make an effort to understand. The way I see it, the one who's hallow is you."

The other just shrugged, taken aback.

"Aren't you a 3rd year? Iwaizumi, Hajime? Why are you even meddling in others business?!"

"Because I'm sick of superficial idiots like you. They're annoying."

Afterwards the guy ran away and you pestered Iwaizumi to be your friend, which resulted in hanging out every day at lunch break.

-----

Upon hearing this story Oikawa formed a frown.
"Iwa-chan, did that really happen? Normally you're so lame."

And with this he earned himself a headbutt.