Twenty One

We get off the plane and return to the house at roughly noon and immediately plop down on the couch, exhausted.

"One thing I hate about flights: jet lag." I complain.

"Agreed." Lachlan says.

I rub the sleep out of my eyes and decide to make a smoothie while contemplating what I should wear for tomorrow; when Lachlan's family returns.

Should I dress casual or fancy? What about casually fancy?

I internally groan, stuck.

I snap out of my thoughts and pour my freshly made smoothie into a cup, then drink it quickly and walk to my bedroom. I notice Lachlan's passed out on his bed and decide to do the same. I collapse on my bed and let sleep take over.
~ DREAM
"Hey, Caitlin." Alex says, voice serious.

"What, Alex?" I ask, turning to him.

"My parents are coming home, and I... Um... Was wondering if you wanted to come over for dinner?" He asks, unsure.

I smile, happy that he wants to introduce me to them. "Of course!"

"Alright." He says, slightly relieved. "I'll pick you up at six."

A horn honks a few hours later, and I put my earring in and look out the window. A black limo is outside my complex and Alex stands outside of it.

I gasp, suddenly looking at my outfit and realizing that it's not classy enough. I'm wearing a short red dress, gold flats and earrings along with faint makeup and red lipstick.

I sigh, deciding to go with this outfit, and walk to the elevator and out the lobby, where Alex awaits.

"What's with the limo?" I ask, slightly blushing.

"Oh, I didn't tell you." He says, blushing as well. "My parents are kinda rich." He points out, and my eyes widen in surprise. Alex does not seem like that type of guy. "Well, I can't stand here all day. Can you quit gaping and get in please? My arms hurt from holding this door for the past ten minutes." He jokingly says, and I roll my eyes.

"Of course, your majesty." I jokingly respond, stepping inside. Alex follows behind me.

"You should call me master now." He cheekily smiles at me, and I roll my eyes again.

"No kinky names for you." I reply.

"Awee..." He pouts.

We arrive at his parents' house, and I gasp at how big their house is. Correction: mansion is.

Guess they're really rich....
~END OF DREAM
I wake up and gasp, remembering.

Alex is rich, which means his parents can bail him out of jail. Which means I'm not safe cause he can hitch a plane ride to Australia and come for me.

I hug myself, fear and paranoia starting to take over me.

I'm not safe I'm not safe I'm not safe I'm not safe.

I am snapped out of my nightmare as Lachlan knocks on the door. "You okay?" He asks, concernedly looking at me.

I bite my lip, pondering if I should tell him or not. I sigh, deciding to tell him as it slightly affects him. "Yeah. I just remembered that my freakshow of an ex is rich."

His eyes slightly widen in realization. "He's gonna get bailed?! That's so fucking unfair! After all that he did to you!"

"Yeah." I quietly respond. "And we can't do anything about it."

"Are you sure?" He asks.

"Yep. Unless I move out. Yeah, I'll probably have to move out, get a fake identity and wear a wig all the time. I'll even have to start speaking in an Australian accent and pretend to like Australian stuff." I say almost to myself.

"First off, you're not moving out. Second of all, you'll look ugly with a wig and it would be weird calling you Florence. And lastly, Australia doesn't suck." Lachlan says, coming to sit on my bed.

I smile, but it quickly turns to a frown. "I have to move out. I don't want you or your family to get hurt."

"If you move out, I move out with you." Lachlan says, and I look at his eyes, which hold many emotions.

Fear, sadness, courage, determination, and... Love?

I sigh, knowing that I have to give in. "We'll do what you want, but I still think the best thing is to move out."

He smiles. "Off to house hunting!"
~
I straighten my hair and slip on my casual blue blouse and white shorts that end midthigh. I put on some light makeup, along with silver earrings.

I smile at my reflection. Simple but fancy.

"They're here!" Lachlan calls from downstairs, and I quickly pounce down the stairs, hoping that the dinner I made will be good.

I really hope Lachlan's parents will like it.

I nervously look at Lachlan, who reassuringly smiles at me. "Don't worry; they'll like you." He says.

"B-but what if they don't?" I ask.

"They will; trust me. And if they don't, I'll make them like you." He replies, making me smile.

"Alright."