Chapter | 1 |

The same playground, same time, same sandbox, every Thursday. The boys met up and played in silence. Actually, the older had to be reminded every time they played, but the younger didn't mind. They had built a wonderful sandcastle every week and the elder always smiled at the end of their play date. He took pride in the fact that they could make something beautiful together and always strove to improve his skills.

The younger however, was harder to please. He always kept a look of boredom, which didn't bother the other at first, but was now getting annoying. "Did I do better this time?" The elder always asked.

"... It's ok." The younger always answered.

Like that it went for a couple of months until a very important date came up. "Honey, your birthday party is coming soon, who should I invite?" The younger was dreading this conversation because he didn't have any friends to invite. He liked playing alone but he can't help to admit that left him a little unsatisfied. But how was he supposed to tell his mom that he was an outcast?

"I don't want a party. Let's just hang out the two of us, like usual." He kept swinging his legs under the bench and looked at his small hands tucked under his thighs.

"Are you sure you don't want to invite at least one friend?" His mom said, trying to hide the disappointment. "How about that kid that you play with on the playground?"

He laughs a little before turning to his mom. "Mom he's weird."

"But I thought you liked him-"

"I don't even know his name. I'm not going to invite him to my party."

"Ok. Fine. I get it."

The older boy comes walking over in search of a playmate, but almost turns around after seeing the glare the younger gave him. The mom had other plans. "Hi! What's your name?" The older boy smiles before answering.

"Im-"

"It doesn't matter. Let's go mom." The younger takes her hand and they walk to the car, unaware that they were leaving the boy alone, with tears in his eyes.

🌱