Part | 4 |

Youngjae's POV

My tears are my only real company, always there when I'm sad.

It has come to the point where I actually miss school. I hate it here. The doctors come and do tests every day, not really helping whatsoever. When they're done and everyone's gone, I attempt to move my arms or legs. It hasn't worked yet but I need to start somewhere. I've already gained the ability to lift my fingers and open my eyes. No one knows yet since I want to surprise my mom one day, making sure her little boy is better now.

•ㅅ•

"Youngjae!" My mom exclaims as soon as she sees the smile on my face. "You're awake! You can move your eyes and your lips and... And... Oh my baby boy." She breaks down crying, embracing me.

Yeah mom. I wanted to say but I still had the damn tube in my throat.

"Dr. Kim!" She runs out to find the young doctor, bringing him back to the room. "Dr. Kim! He's conscious! Look!" The tall brunette stands next to her, eyeing my every movement, taking meticulous notes.

"We need to do another MRI to check the parts of the body that are still dormant and the ones that we can work on to improve." His cut and dry answer caused my mother's smile to fade a little but returned once she saw me again.

"Ok doctor. Let's do it." After they check my vitals, remove the tube (do not recommend for anyone), and unplug me from the machine, I'm ready for my scan.

In the room, they allowed my mom to look at me through a glass window, eyeing my still-body advance into the white machine. They gave me a few commands to follow, blinking 3 times, swallowing, chewing, basic needs. And then they moved on to my limbs: raising my arms, kicking up my leg, wiggling my toes, just to see the extent of my abilities. Of course I couldn't do half of the instructions but Dr. Kim assured me that it was fine, I would get there someday.

My tests basically said I can think, move the muscles in my face and I can semi use my arms/hands if I try really hard. I am able to talk but I shouldn't for about a week because my muscles should get used to chewing and swallowing first.

Back in the room, I'm able to sit up for the first time in... Actually, I don't know how long I've been here. One of the many questions I need to ask. As soon as I'm accommodated, I want to scream. I want to scream about how tired I am of living in this hospital, how tired I am of being in the same bed all day, not being able to move my lower half. I'm tired of waiting to see Jaebum, knowing that there is a horrible reason why he won't come, whether it's his choice or not. I'm tired of not being able to walk, use the bathroom by myself and not being able to eat my own mothers cooking.

I'm just tired.

I sigh, looking out the window into the cloudy afternoon. The doctor said something to my mother and left, leaving us alone as he usually does. This time was different. This time I can actually ask her everything I've been meaning to. When I search for my mom with my eyes, I find she was already looking at me, shining her famous sunshine smile. I want her to be happy but, I also want to know.

"I bet you have a lot of questions." I nod immediately, wondering how she could read my thoughts so easily. "Here." She pulls out a notepad with a shiny Get Well Soon pen. "I got it from the gift shop while you were down there." She pulls up one of the chairs to sit down next to me. "So ask away."

What happened?

I show her the notepad and nods. "You had an accident honey. You hit your head on the sidewalk, causing... What did the doctors say?.... Oh yeah. Brain trauma."

Was I in a coma?

She bites her lip and nods.

How long?

"A month. About." Her hand finds mine, intertwining our fingers. "Listen, I know this is a hard thing to process so if you want some time to think and ask more questions tom-" I yank my hand away from hers, pulling it to hold on to the notepad.

Where's Jaebum?

The one question I need answered, the only one I truly care about and she looks at me like I'm the craziest person in the world.

"Who's Jaebum?"

A few things:

1) I can't update that often because of school. I have a sad life.

2) I don't know shit about medicine. So don't take my word for any of this.

3) Who do you think is Dr. Kim?