Chapter | 16 |

Mark's Birthday Special (Last Year)

It's too early.

I groan when I feel the sun hitting my face, alerting me to wake up for school. "Mark! Get ready for school!"

Ugh. "I don't wanna go today! Today is the one day I shouldn't go!" I can hear her mumbling downstairs and take it as a sign that I have to get ready. Fast. "Fine! I'm getting ready!" I find my nicest clothes from my closet. I should at least look good today.

Running down the stairs, I could hear my mom humming in the kitchen. She always does that when she's making- "Pancakes?"

I grin and hug her from behind. "Of course I want pancakes! Are they-"

"Yup. You're favorite." I beam at my mother and sit down, hungrily digging into the chocolate chip goodness. "Hurry up and catch the bus!"

"Bye mom!"

"Bye Mark! Happy Birthday!"

I smile and wave behind me, leaving. Waiting at the bus stop was a little lonely, not gonna lie. But it helped me think. Last night it rained so my day started off too humid for comfort. I was waiting for a couple minutes when a car passes by, splashing all the runoff of the rain onto my clothing.

"Shit." I grumble, looking down at my ruined outfit. My hair was a mess, my clothes were wet, and worst of all, now my phone was fried. The bus came and I quietly got on, receiving looks from the already seated passengers. I sigh, trying to take a little nap before reaching school.

•ㅅ•

"Happy Birthday Mark! My greatest and truest friend in all of the world!" Youngjae runs towards me, screaming and was about to hug me when he noticed how drenched I was. "Ew. What happened to you?"

I scoff. "A car splashed me." I slam the locker, finding some dry gym clothes. "Now I look like a weirdo." He follows me to the bathroom so I could change.

"You look fine. Plus, no one cares how you look."

"I don't care what anyone thinks. I care what someone thinks." I hear him sigh outside of the stall.

"When are you going to just go for it?"

"Go for what?" I choose to play dumb.

"Just tell him already!" I come out of the stall wearing my ugly clothes. "Just tell Ji-" I cover up his mouth before he continues.

"Shh!" I look around and see a couple stalls closed. Meaning that people could be listening. And I know how nosy the people in this school are. "This is not something that friends say out loud." He nods underneath my hand. I slowly take away my hand and he adjusts himself.

"I got you a present." He turns around and grabs a box from his book bag. "But open it later because it's embarrassing if you open it now." His genuine smile causes me to give one in return.

"Fine." I place my present in my bag, now having another reason to want to be home instead of here. "Let's go."

•ㅅ•