Chapter 38: Realizations

After school, I went directly to the nearest fastfood chain and bought myself some food for dinner. I've already eaten the burger that I took out from the fastfood chain inside the car and the soda can was now empty. I still have money left on my savings and I used it temporarily for food and transport. I don't want to use Mom's credit card without her permission so I decided to use mine instead.

From the fastfood chain, I got on a cab and headed home. I glanced at my wristwatch and it ticked five fifty-two pm. I looked out of the glass window and noticed that the sun was just about to set.

Back in the normal days of my normal life, I was in love with sunsets, but now as I watched it, the only thing I could think of was that the day was about to end and with all these events happening, I feel like I'm running out of time.

I sighed as the thought of Mom and Shone came rushing in my mind. It still bothered me everytime I thought of what happened to Shone. No matter how much I refused to remember it, I always end up thinking about him. Also, the worry I have regarding my Mom built up as the hours pass by. I have recieved no text message or phone calls from her and it's now making me nervous. What if she was caught by a Black Star? What if she was kidnapped? What if...

There were only what ifs in my mind and it sucks to not know the answer.

I looked away from the orangy sky and felt the cold metal strapped in my legs. I didn't forget the gun strapped in my right upper leg and the thought that Mom could possibly be the owner of it frustrates me. I fished out Mom's wallet in my back pack and opened it, revealing the photos I found inside it earlier this morning. The mystery of my photo still crept me out and it's kind of disturbing. This was one of the reasons why I am going back to our house despite the possible danger. I need to confirm if my assumptions was correct and I know some things inside our house would help me to figure it out.

The sound of my phone beeping dragged me out of my thoughts. I immediatly put the wallet back in my bag and picked my phone inside it. Nia's name popped on the notification and right then I knew it was a text message.

I swiped my phone open and clicked on Nia's message.

Block 6, Stanford Street, South Delly

Be there or be square. :P

She sent me Gi's address as promised. I didn't bother to reply to her because she must be getting ready for Gi's birthday party tonight. It turned out Gi and Nia fixed their problem today via phone call and they're in good terms again. That was why Nia want to go to Gi's birthday because they haven't seen each other for a day. Gosh, look at what love can do to you.

"Look at what love did to me." I thought.

Just like that I locked my phone and slid it inside my skirt pocket. Sadness began to fill my heart at the thought that I'll never see Shone again. I failed to thank him for everything and also to apologize to him for the same reason.

"Ma'am, andito na ho tayo." untag sa akin ni Manong driver.

Saka ko lang napansin na nakatigil na ang taxi sa gilid ng kalsada ilang bloke ang layo sa bahay namin. Tumango ako at dali-dali kong iniabot ang aking bayad na agad naman nitong kinuha.

"Salamat ho, manong." sabi ko sabay dampot ng aking back pack at ang paper bag na naglalaman ng ilan pang pagkain.

"Walang anuman, Ma'am." pahabol na sagot niya ng makababa na ako ng taxi.

The car then began to move away and disappeared as it rounded up the corner.

I observed my surroundings, the lamp posts at the street side were now glowing yellow. The sky was now a fading blue and right then I knew it's nearly evening. My gaze travelled on the street and there was no suspicious vehicles or whatsoever that I could fret about. Deciding that I should not dwell out in here for too long and expose myself for danger, I walked up to our house in haste.