Best Friends With Sam Evans (15)

Today is the day- the day I find out who Sam Evans is crushing on.

I got up early, did my hair, got dressed, and ate breakfast. I was wearing dark skinny jeans, a plaid button up shirt with a black tank top underneath, and black vans. My hair was softy curled and I left it down. I did light, natural make-up.

I arrived at school at the perfect time. Sam was alone at his locker as I was walking down the hall.

"Hey." I said, leaning against the line of lockers next to him.

Sam looked at me for a moment then turned to his locker again. "Hey."

"I'm sorry." I said genuinely.

"Why the fuck are you sorry?" Sam snapped. "I'm the asshole who kissed you. That was a big mistake and I'm so sorry." Sam hugged me.

I smiled to myself. "It's OK. You're forgiven."

"Look, I don't think I can tell you tonight after the soccer game. Coach said he's taking us all out for dinner right after. Can I tell you who it is tomorrow?" Sam asked.

I sighed. "Just, uh, tell me now." I paused. "Please?"

The bell rang loudly and Sam ran away from me.

"Sam!" I yelled in frustration.

He ignored me and went to class.

At lunch, Sam totally avoided me. I guess he really didn't want to tell me who he liked.

After school, I saw Sam go straight to the boy's locker room to change for soccer and then to the soccer field with some of his team mates. He glanced over at me and waved.

I smiled and waved back.

"Who's that?" Sadie asked, refering to who I was waving to.

"Sam." I answered.

Sadie smiled. "Oh, doesn't he look gorgous in his uniform?!"

"Yeah." I agreed. "I've never seen him in his uniform or even lpay soccer so this afternoon should be fun."

Sadie's jaw dropped. "Piper, everyone except for you, Sam's best friend, has seen him play. Oh my god. That's just terrible." She shook her head. "Why haven't you ever been to a game?"

I  shurgged. "Soccer isn't my thing." I lied.

Sadie gave me one of her I-know-your-lying-so-just-tell-me looks.

"Fine!" I exclaimed. "I thought that if I went to Sam's soccer games then I'd only like him more than I do now, you know, since he's the star of the team and everyone would tell me how good he looks and how he's an awesome player and-"

"So you don't want to like Sam, do you?" She asked.

I sighed. "I'm scared it'll ruin our friendship."

"Just take a chance, Pipes!" Sadie punched my arm playfully. "It won't hurt."

I punched her back harder. "Don't call me that!"

Sadie and I made our way to the soccer field. It was about 3:30 and the game didn't start until 4 but she insisted on going to see them warm up.

"Look at his ass!" Sadie blurted.

Some other students near us gave her weird looks.

"Sadie!" I elbowed her in the ribs.

"What?!" She squeeked. "It's nice!"

I giggled. "Who's is?"

"Who do you think?!" Sadie yelled. "Sam!"

"Shut the fuck up!" I said to her. "But your right, it is!"

The game started at 4 and Sadie and I were cheering like crazy.

The soccer team beat Green Fields, our rival, 5-2. Sam scored 3 of the 5 goals.

Before he disappeared into the boy's locker room, I tried chasing after him.

"Sam!" I called over and over again. "Sam, wait!"

But it was too late. No, he hadn't gone in yet, but Ilana had gotten to him.

My heart nearly stopped. I didn't want them to see me spying on them so I hid behind a pole and peeked my head out. I couldn't hear whta they were saying, though, which made me mad.

Ilana was playing with Sam's hair and giggling.

Sam was laughing too.

All of a sudden, someone ran into me.

"Watch it!" I turned around and exclaimed.

The person gave me a dirty look and walked away.

Next thing I see when I turn around to Ilana and Sam, they're kissing.

My jaw nearly dropped to the gound. Tears filled my eyes. I really thought it was going to be me. I thought to myself.

They were still holding hands and kissing by the time I ran away crying.

I brushed past Sadie but she grabbed my arm. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, what's wrong, Piper?"

"He kissed her." I mumbled. "Sam kissed Ilana!" I broke down into Sadie's arms. "She's such a-"

"Piper!" I heard Sam call.

I looked at him with my teary eyes. "What?" I asked. "What do you want?"

"I-I saw you run away all upset and I wanted to know what was wrong?" Sam said, walking closer.

I swallowed and tried to stop crying. "I saw you kiss Ilana and... I couldn't watch you do that."

"She kissed me, Piper." Sam embraced me in his arms. "Ilana took my hands-" Sam took my hands- "pulled me close-" Sam pulled me close to him- "and she kissed me." Sam and I both leaned down and our lips met.

"Awww!" Sadie exclaimed in the back ground.

I pulled away from Sam and turned to Sadie. "You just ruined the moment." I said with a giggle.

Sam tilted my chin up with his hand and looked me directly in the eyes. "Piper," He smiled, "There's something I need to tell you."

I almost forgt that today was the day Sam was going to tell me who he liked and that he was going to ask her out.

I looked into Sam's beautiful eyes and smiled back at him. "Yes?"

"It's you." He said. "Piper, it's always been you." Sam kissed me once again. It was deep, pasionate, and real. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Um..." I muttered.

All of a sudden, I was having second thoughts.

What if this isn't good for our friendship?

What if we're just not meant for each other?

What if we have a nasty break up and never speak again?

A huge list of What If''s went through my head at that moment. I was silently panicking and freaking out about Sam's question- a question that I had long awaited and anticipated and knew the answer to just earlier today.

"Are you OK?" Sam asked.

I wanted to vomit. I was worrying myself so much. "Uh..." I mumbled then ran as fast as I could.

I didn't know where I was going, I just wanted to get away and think for a while.