The Escape: Chapter Six

Elsa sobbed. She held back her tears as she slipped under her seat in the stands, climbing down the wooden posts without uttering a sound, but as soon as she was free from the fairgrounds, she could no longer hold her emotions back.

Her blue gown whipped against her body as her feet flew over the ground, moving as quickly as her heart pounded. The tears flowed freely, blurring the grand facade of the castle in front of her into an obscure mess. 

He soft sobs echoed through the deserted halls as she ran to the safety of her room. Flinging her door open, she threw herself on the bed, hiding her face in one of her pillows. She cried until no more tears remained, leaving red streaks around her eyes and down her cheeks. 

"This isn't going according to plan," she muttered, knowing she couldn't avoid the fallout from her actions. The full extent of her disobedience came crashing down on her. In front of her kingdom, she openly defied the king. This wasn't like changing dresses and skipping out on the end of the ball. Her father was embarrassed by that. He would be outraged by this.

She didn't want to think about husbands or knights, or being queen. She wanted to feel the wind blow through her hair as she galloped the countryside for fun or watched the sunrise over the Blue Mountains.

"I can't do this anymore!" She yelled throwing her pillow against the wall.

In a moment, she had decided. She ran around the room, grabbing the important items and stuffing them into a bag. A couple of her plainest, most practical dresses, her marble brush, leather shoes, a satchel, and a few trinkets to remind her of home. Her head jerked up at the pounding on her door.

"Hold on, I'm coming," she yelled, hiding the bag under her covers. She looked around. The room had disappeared under a mess of thrown dresses and scattered jewellery. smoothing her dress, she approached the door cautiously, preparing for the wrath of her father. 

"Oh, it's only you," she said, her forced smile melting off her face.

Hiccup walked in behind her and stared at her in disbelief. "You should be glad it's just me. Do you have any idea what you've done?" 

"I just left early, that's all," she said, looking at the ground and biting her lower lip.

"You did more than that and you know it. Look at your room," he said, moving a discarded dress with his foot. "You're acting like a little kid about this."

"Hiccup, you just don't understand. You never have. Our whole life, you've lived up to father's expectations, followed his guidance and rules. I haven't had anyone to guide me. I'm not prepared for these so-called responsibilities. I can't do it."

"What are you talking about? Father had guided you as well."

She looked at her brother sadly. "If you call sending me to this room whenever something exciting, dangerous, or new is about to happen, then he guided me well."

"Elsa," he said, grabbing her hands. "You're making this a bigger deal than it is. You should be grateful. He's dropping a kingdom in your lap. I'll have to wait at least twenty more years until I will rule here. I've been careful, dutiful, and respectful. Maybe if I displayed half the disobedience you do, I would get more."

She pulled away at his laughter and turned around. He lectured her, but all she heard was a hum of duty, loyalty, and responsibility. She rolled her eyes and stared at the pattern on the floor. No one was asking her what she wanted. At one more mention of duty, Elsa broke down. Tears trickled down her cheeks.

Hiccup stopped mid-sentence and dropped to her side. He lifted her chin and looked in her eyes. "I didn't mean to upset you. You know I care about you and want the best for you."