Dragon's Gate: Chapter Five

The candles flickered in the early morning breeze, dimming the light in the castle library. Stacks of books leaned precariously over the edge of the tables, small pools of candle wax spilt out, dripping onto the floor, hiding the normal order of the room. Pabbie ran from table to table, searching through papers and ancient texts. After the king's meeting and the impromptu agreement to overlook the imminent danger and proceed with the market, Pabbie locked himself in, determined to find the truth behind Iduna's cryptic words. Hunched over the papers, Pabbie looked up as the sun rose over the horizon. A signal of the approaching day, a deadline weighing on his heart.

Unfurled scrolls and piles of parchments lined the long wooden tables. Pabbie scoured the documents, hoping to glean a bit more information about what was to come. His mind repeated the king's speech, hearing the misconstrued words, twisted for the king's purpose. Now Pabbie felt the burden to prove the danger of their situation.

Sweat beaded up on his temples as his fingertips neatly traced line after line, hoping something would pop out, a new meaning discovered in the dim candlelight. Frustration rose as the letters blurred together beneath his weary eyes.

"Iduna," Pabbie whispered desperately. "Help me. Show me what you knew. Uncover the hidden secrets that continue to elude me." The wind blew against his closed eyes, rusting the papers beneath his fingers. They scattered around the room.

Pabbie watched as one roll stayed on the table. The other fell to the floor, discarded by the wind. 

"Thank you, my dear," Pabbie sighed. As his eyes skimmed the pages, his mouth opened. What seemed so hidden before now stood out as the only interpretation. Pabbie's fingers swept line by line, speeding up as the words etched themselves into his mind. "The blue dragon. It can't be," Pabbie mumbled in disbelief, lifting his head as the trumpets began.

Running to the window, he peeked outside. As far as his eyes could see, crowds surrounded the tournaments fields, pressing towards the gates. He bent his head, knowing his time was running out.

The trumpets blared. Crowds moved forward, waiting for the large wooden gates to open. Vendors lined the outside of the stadium, scurrying to add final touches. The air filled with the sweet scents of freshly baked bread, honey rolls, and wildflower bouquets. Bright streamers waved back and forth, inviting people inside the decorated tournament grounds. Giggles, laughter, and shouts of joy rung out as children danced in a circle to the impromptu music.

Princess Elsa looked around, feeling her heart swell. Soulful music filtered through the air, harmonising with fits of laughter. The children weaving in and out of booths, playing their game of hide-and-seek while the elders played their own game of bartering.

Elsa stood to the side with Jack spying Kristoff put a small daisy behind Anna's ear. Standing by one of the flower booths, the sweet mixture of flowers lingered over them as they waited for the opening announcement. She looked up at Jack, excitement shining in her smile as she leaned back onto his chest. One of his hands held her securely; the other rested atop his sword hilt. Conversations settled as cheers erupted around them.

Above the crowd, on the balcony overlooking the tournament field, King Agnarr and Hiccup appeared, their crimson robes waving. The king stood tall, scanning the area below. Elsa watched his eyes twinkle, knowing that as he saw the crowd, he was also calculating their profit.

With a quick wave, he brought Hiccup to the forefront. And for a brief second, the prince's perfectly maintained face betrayed his giddiness, as the adoration of the crowd below poured onto him.

"Ladies, gentleman," his voice cracked, "this celebration is about spring. It marks growth from the bounty of the hillsides, the new births of our herbs, The blossoming of creativity from our artists, and the rebuilding of our town. So fill your baskets, your wagons, and your cups in celebration of the season and the joy that brings us here today!"

Elsa looked down when she felt a gentle pulling on her hand. "Are you ready?" Jack asked with a smile playing at the edge of his lips and a twinkle in his grey eyes.

Elsa smiled back. "you heard the prince. It is our duty to have fun today."

"It's my duty and my joy," Jack said, bowing down and holding his hand out toward the fairground gate. Elsa giggled as she took his hand and ran inside.

The outside of the grounds paled in comparison to what stood before them. The stands were filled top to bottom and edge to edge with vendors, booths, and animals. Sellers shouted numbers and animals brayed. Hours melted into each other as Elsa and Jack bounded from stall to stall sampling the food, delighting in the art, and dancing to the music.

Elsa turned, hearing her name.

"Jack," she said, "that's Anna's voice."

Elsa ran ahead, dropping Jack's hand as she darted between the tables and booths. She searched for her friend, slowing down only when the crowds thickened near the entrance. She smiled as Kristoff's familiar green robe came into view, and laughed when she saw the bundles of colourful gowns falling out of his arms. Anna twirled into view, modelling two different gowns.

"Princess Elsa!" Anna squealed in excitement. "Aren't these the most beautiful gowns you've ever seen?" 

"They are beautiful!" She agreed.

Jack held in his laugh and raided his eyebrows at Kristoff. 

Anna twirled around again. "I know you have your gown already decided, but I was thinking for me, for your wedding, the move up north..." She rattled off other events as Elsa smiled.

"I don't think you need any excuse to buy something that beautiful."

The girls looked through the other dresses, amazed by the craftsmanship and delicately embroidered designs. After an hour, Anna had her dresses sent to her parents' home, and Kristoff dropped his arms in a gesture of relief.

A new voice called out. Elsa's heart skipped. She recognised Pabbie's face hidden beneath the scowl and saw his white knuckles tightened around a scroll.

"Pabbie, what is it?" She asked, running through the crowd.

His eyes darted around as he spoke. "It's the king. We need to stop him. Where is your father?"

"Pabbie, what are you talking about?" Jack asked, trying to grab his arms and calm him down.

"There's no time to lose. It's right here." Pabbie unrolled his papers, pointing to a specific line.

Elsa and Jack leaned over to look. Her stomach dropped as she read the words. "The Blue dragon dies?" Elsa asked, looking up to Pabbie for answers. "I thought you said we already captured the blue dragon."

"We did, a long time ago. There is only one Blue dragon left," he said forcefully, pointing directly to the banners waving in the wind above.

"The blue dragon of Arendelle," Jack whispered, looking up at the dragons displayed on the banners.

"It's the king; we need to find him now. Where is he?" Pabbie demanded, pulling at her wrists with urgency. "Your Highness, we need to protect him."

"I don't know," Elsa said, looking around frantically, trying to find his crimson robe in the crowd. Her heart leapt in her chest, and tears welled in her eyes. They ran between the booths, leaving a trail of fallen bread, flowers, and scarves in their wake. People hardly had time to move to avoid the princess in her race to find the king.

"Father!" She yelled, seeing his role in the distance. Engrossed in conversation, King Agnarr admired the woven blankets Prince Elliot and his vendors displayed. The sight of him eased the worry in her heart, and she slowed to a walk, composing herself as a princess.

"Father," She said, walking toward him. Her feet stopped in shock as her neck pulsed with heat. A new feeling of dread filled her. She watched the silver dragon rise above the edges of the stadium, digging its talons into the newly rebuilt wooden thatching and stone columns. 

Without warning, the dragon lurched forward and shot a burst of fire directly towards the king. Elsa screamed, watching her father disappear beneath the orange flames.