The Battle: Chapter Seven

The first step into the dungeon was the worst. The foul air that greeted them nearly knocked Pabbie out. The old catacombs that had been re-purposed into the king's dungeon brought back many memories. As Pabbie smelled the air, a smoky scent transported him back seventeen years.

This is where the Trolls had trained, studied, became who they needed to be. Bright memories of potions, books, late nights, and excitement raced through Pabbie's mind. He let out a deep breath and sighed. All the bright, bubbly memories of the past faded, enveloped by the grey haze of disuse and dust.

There was little time to soak it all in. The guards removed the thick cuffs that left angry red marks on the prisoners' skin and slammed the door to their cell. Kristoff and his family crouched against the back wall, trying to calm their mother's flood of tears. Her body curled into a ball in his father's arms.

Her soft wails struck Pabbie's heart. He turned, wanting to reassure them. A new sound filled the air. Laughter. The strange cackle echoed off the walls, coming closer. Heavy footfalls signalled someone's approach. Pabbie's heart felt heavy.

"Pabbie," a voice echoed from around the corner.

Pabbie raised his head. "My King," he responded, keeling on the cobblestone floor. Kristoff's family glanced at the empty doorway then at Pabbie. Kristoff's mother quieted her tears, and the men knelt around her.

"You old fool," the king hissed, rounding the corner. "I knew you couldn't stay away." His eyes betrayed malice and amusement. He rubbed his beard, then leaned over and whispered something to the guard.

The guard's eyes opened wider as he held out the ring of the keys. The trolls watched in bewilderment. Surprise and fear glistened in their eyes, hope throbbing in their chests.

"Get up, Pabbie!" King Agnarr snapped, turning his back on the cell. "You can leave us," he said to the guard.

The guard bowed his head. "Yes, Your Majesty." He slipped out.

"Well, well, well," the king said, pacing back and forth, twirling the keys around his fingers. "I spared your life once and swore I'd never do it again." He stopped for a moment to stare at Pabbie, his face red, eyes tense. "Why have you broken our truce and returned to my kingdom? What is so important that you risk your life and living of your people? What excuse do you think will change my mind?"

Silence echoed between them as Pabbie looked up, formulating his response, feeling the weight of everyone's eyes on him. He hoped their faith in him was not misplaced. Wrapping his fingers around the iron bars of the cell, he looked into the king's eyes.

"Iduna," he said.

In a single moment, Pabbie watched the king's face flicker from anger to pain, sorrow, and confusion.

"Iduna?" The king repeated, stealing his gaze. "You came here for my wife? You're a bit late for that."

"She was my goddaughter as wells as your wife. You must know the truth." Pabbie held out his arm in a pleading gesture. "Agnarr, please. Hear me out. I can show you something to ease your mind."

The king's back stiffened. "Again, kinsman," he sneered, "you remind me of your relationship to Iduna. Let me remind you of something: she was my life. You let my beloved die. Seventeen years is not nearly enough time to cool my anger."

He let out a ragged breath and moved closer to the cell. "I will give you one more chance. Tell me why I should listen." He turned the key in the door. The cell opened with a loud clank.

Pabbie stepped forward and looked back to the other trolls. He smiled warmly and touched the bars. "I will be back soon," he said, his words calming from leaving and closed the door.

"All right, Pabbie," the king said. "Show me what you will. I have already given you more time than I had planned. I have other matters to attend to."

"It's in her tower," Pabbie said simply.

They walked from the dungeon to the tower, taking the underground corridors to avoid being seen. Icy silence stood between them like a wall.

Pabbie felt tears well up in his eyes when they reached the base of the tower, memories of his love for Iduna rushing into his mind and heart.

"This is Elsa's room now," King Agnarr said, and a slow smile appeared on Pabbie 's face.

They climbed quickly, Pabbie sure that the king's patience was wearing thin. It had always been in short supply, and he didn't imagine it had grown any while he had been exiled.

The room had stayed much the same. Princess Elsa kept the bed in the same position, only adding a few of her blue and silver pillows. The side table that had once been empty now overflowed with personal items-a mirror, a couple of books, a carved bird, and a green shell necklace. A large stool sat below the window, which boasted a panoramic view of the village, forest, and the far-off Dragon's Gate. An empty room kept as a tribute to Iduna had blossomed into life under Elsa's care.

Pabbie wondered through the room, lost in his own thoughts-happy, wonderful memories of himself and Iduna. With a deep sigh and a full heart, he sat back on the edge of the bed. He closed his eyes and pointed at the chamber's entrance.

"Over there. There should be a loose block about knee-high from the floor."

King Agnarr raised his eyebrows as he walked over to the doorway. Bending over, he brushed his fingertips over each stone. He jumped back as sand crumbled to the ground and a stone moved under his touch.

"Open it, my King. The proof you seek is inside." Pabbie waved his hand but stayed seated, pulled a roll of parchment out from under the cascading sleeved of his robe.

The king didn't hesitate. His hands moved with an urgency they hadn't known in years. The stone moved aside easily, an audible click sounding as the seal broke and a hidden compartment appeared in the darkness. He pulled out an aged leather package marked with Iduna's seal and stifled a gasp.

Shaking, he sat on the floor, pulling the package up to his chest. His lips opened and savoured the remaining smell of Iduna's sweet lavender perfume. Whatever it was, she had left it for him to find. He placed the package on the floor to open it.

Choking back sobs, King Agnarr read aloud, "My beloved husband." Tears welled in his eyes, heat filling his cheeks as feelings he had long forgotten rose back to the surface. "I had hoped this day would not arrive, but it has. We are coming into an age when the sleeping dragons will awake. There is only one way I know to protect our children. Please love them, protect them, and prepare them for what is coming. I have loved you without limit. Always, Iduna." He lifted the page to his face and sat in silence.

After a few moment, King Agnarr turned his attention to the rest of the package-an encrusted pewter ring and a packet of age-worn papers. He fingered the ring and read the first few pages. Looking sharply up at Pabbie, he snapped, "how did you know of this?"

Pabbie knelt beside the king and rolled out the parchment that he been hidden inside his robe. "She sent me a message as well. I didn't read it until after you ordered the exile, and then..."

The majority of the parchment matched what King Agnarr held. Word for word, picture for picture, map for map, they were exact duplicated of each other. Pabbie had a few additional papers that pinpointed where and when to find the king's copy, including a timeline showing event that had yet to unfold and cryptic references to the Dragon's age.

"My king," Pabbie whispered. "We haven't much time. If these are correct, the time of the dragons is near."

"Yes," the king agreed, packing the materials together and standing. "We must warn Hiccup and Elsa. We can review these later."

He stretched his arm out in response. Pabbie clasped the king's arm in a Knight's greeting. The green in his robe brightened as they turned to descend the stairs.