Dragon's Gate: Chapter Six

With the last puff of smoke, the silver dragon arched its neck and lunged away toward the forest. Flamed shot around the fallen king, as the crowds ran in alarm. The peaceful sounds of the market turned to chaos as the villagers and merchants rushed out of the field. Knights came running, dumping buckets of water, extinguishing the remnants of flames and burning embers before the damage grew.

Princess Elsa knelt beside her father. The rough ground bit into her knees as her hands wrapped protectively around her father's. Badly burned but still alive, king Agnarr tried to raise his hands but stopped, the effort too much for him to handle.

"Jack," Elsa half-sobbed, trying to keep her composure. "Help me. We need to get him inside." Her eyes glistened. "Jack," she whispered, looking back at her father.

Jack ran and returned with healers to help transfer the king inside. They raised his body carefully, carrying him gingerly from the grounds to the castle. The charred remains of his velvet robe fell clumsily to the side as a line of people walked behind him. 

The king's study filled with silence, the air thick with emotion. No one dared break the silence as they waited. A steady line of healers paraded through the study to the attacked bedroom chamber, determining the extent of his injuries and the proper treatment.

Princess Elsa sat at the king;s desk, looking down at the scattered parchments, tracing the delicate lined and pictured as they waited. Jack rested his hands on her shoulders in support. Hiccup paced the room, looking for any distraction. Their heads jerked to the door as Pabbie came out of the king's chamber. His tight lips and pale face spoke multitudes. 

Elsa's heart jumped, her eyes filled with waiting tears. "Is there any news, Pabbie?"

He looked at her with a heavy sigh. "He's been through a lot. The burns were severe. Your Highness's, I am so sorry," he said, shaking his head.

Princess Elsa choked out a sob and buried her head in Jack's chest. Prince Hiccup stared ahead, focusing on his father's favourite wooden ship, clenching his jaw to stop the trembling in his chin. He balled his fists tightly, white-knuckled, struggling to maintain control.

"What do we do now?" He struggled to ask.

"I don't know," Pabbie said. A cough ran through the air.

"Pabbie," A raspy voice coughed again. "Bring them here."

Elsa's heart skipped as Pabbie frowned. "Your Majesty, I don't think that's a good idea."

"It's too late for that, too late for worrying. I won't miss sharing any last moments with my children." His voice cracked as the words came out.

"My King, please reconsider."

"I have considered, and I have decided. Bring my children here at one!"

Pabbie lowered his gaze and his face under the shadows of his hood.

Elsa and Hiccup walked forward hesitantly. Her heart pounded.

The room as dark, darker than she remembered. Drapery drew, the smell candles next to the windowsill only illuminated a small area. A handful of healers stood against the far wall, avoiding eye contact as the prince and princess approached. Each step broke the silence of the room.

"Oh father," she cried, running to his side. Dropping to the ground, she felt the cold tile as she grasped his hands in hers. She wept, feeling the tears fall down her cheeks and drop to their entwined fingers.

Prince Hiccup stood back, taking in the sight. Wisps of smoke trailed in the air above the king's bed. The scent of burning sage clung to the drapery. King Agnarr lay on the bed, his skin covered as much as possible under layers of bandages. Pockets of singed red and black skin and small silvers of eyes showed through the shroud.

"Father?" Hiccup asked.

"Yes, my children, it is I," he chocked out, his voice now a raspy whisper. "We have much to discuss." He lifted his finger for silence. "I know Pabbie had spoken with you, but I am not certain he had told you the whole truth. My wounds are bad, and before I go, I want, no, I need to see that you two taken care of. My last promised to your mother was that I take care of you...and I have," he murmured. 

"At least, the best I could, the only way I knew how. And now it is time for you to take your place. Elsa, without delay, you and Jack must be married. It is time for you to start your new life away from here, where your love may blossom into a new kingdom. And you, Hiccup, you must lead."

"Father..." Hiccup hesitated.

"You'll be better in no time," Elsa chimed in quietly, trying to speak between her tears. "We don't need to talk about this."

"There isn't time!" King Agnarr croaked. "There isn't time." He raised his hand to stop their refusals. Slowly, he lifted his head and looked them in the eyes, "There is no discussion. Consider it may last order. I want to see you both settled, as you deserve to be."

"Father," she begged, "there's time."

"Elsa, please don't. You may not understand right now, but you will. All I ever did was out of love. Every order, every drill, every restriction. It was all out of concern and love, and that continues now. I am going; it is time you both made your own home. Part of my heart, the best part of my heart, died the day your mother did. It's time for me to be whole again." His eyes glistened as he looked at their faces.

"But this doesn't make sense. It isn't time. Please," she begged, tears falling off her face.

"My dear," King Agnarr said, reaching toward her. "There is rarely a good time for these things. They happen. Not by plan, sometimes not by chance, but they happen. We can either accept that and move forward or plant out feet and remain stubborn."

"Father, I can't. I just can't leave you."

"My sweet daughter, you will never leave me. You are here, and I will always be here," he said, motioning to her heart with one hand and holding his with the other. "But we can't afford to stop. We must rise above the waves and move the kingdom forward. That is the price we pay for leading. It is our duty to show the way when others would falter. And that is what I need you to do." He stopped to rest and looked in their eyes.

"Hiccup," He said. "Your shoulders must bear the weight of the burden. the kingdom now depends on you. It is up to you to defeat this foe and secure peace for our land. You cannot fail. Everything you have wanted is now your. We will not wait any longer. I will see to it that you are each in your new station by morning. Hiccup, you are the new king, and Elsa, you will wed your knight."

Hiccup joined Elsa next to their father, holding onto each other's hands as they watched him drift into sleep, wondering if they would get the chance to see him again. They sat together quietly until their tears stopped the numbness took over.

Pabbie peeked into the king's chamber and frowned. Lighting a fresh bundle of sage, he called the stewards and wizards to him. 

"There isn't much time, and there's much to prepare. The king has spoken, and his order are clear. If we're to arrange these ceremonies for tomorrow, we must begin now." His green robe sparkled in the candlelight as he pointed to different walls. Men scattered under his direction. As the commotion settled down, Pabbie notices the silence from the other room.

"Princess, Prince," He said gently. "We really must prepare for tomorrow. Although not intended or planned, tomorrow you will begin your new journey as King and as a married princess. As much as it is for me to prepare for the ceremonies, you must also prepare. Tomorrow is a busy day and will take all your focus and strength." He reached out for Elsa, and she rose slowly, looking back at her father one last time.