The Escape: Chapter Ten

Jack stopped. After riding all night, both he and his horse needed rest. The light from the morning sun reflected brilliantly off the snowcapped mountain. Transfixed, Jack watched in awe. Seven different shades of blue shone over the mountaintops, and a multiplicity of green's popped out from the hillside.

He found himself at a crossroad. The exiled lands of the east were uncharted. The forest sprawled ahead of him, and the mountain loomed to his left. No clear direction presented itself. He led his horse to a stream, letting him rest beneath the shade of the pine, as he thought. A breeze blew through his fingertips, cooling his sweat-dampened hair.

He was stuck. Nothing marked the path that Princess Elsa had taken: no footprints, no broken sticks, no horse tracks. There were no indications that he was any closer to saving her. Dust scattered dust around him as he kicked the ground.

"If only there was a way to see ahead. Then I could decide," he said to himself. His words registered and he jumped. "Of course! I just need a better vantage point." He ran across the small stream, over scattered rocks, to the base of the mountainside. About fifty feet above him, a small ledge jutted out. 

The rocks scraped his forearms and ripped his pants, but he continued climbing. His muscles ached and sweat dripped from his forehead as he pulled himself onto the narrow ledge. The morning light shone on him, stronger above the tree cover. Unfortunately, the new view did not give him any more clues to the princess's whereabouts. Time passed, and the only thing that changed seemed to be the direction the trees swayed. 

Jack felt like screaming. He had made it this far following and lead from the village, but there was nowhere else to go. This was a dead end. There were no signs of her, and, realistically, he doubted she could have made it this far without help or a horse.

"I am her champion!" He yelled into the sea of trees. "Elsa! Where are you! I'm here for you!" Nothing but the wind answered his calls.

After one last gust of wind, he resigned himself to the truth. He wouldn't find her here. Without a trace to follow, he was wasting time. He slid down the steep hill, landing in an unceremonious heap at the base. With legs as bruised as his ego, he prepared to head back to the castle. Maybe they had had better luck.

He hiked back to where he's tied his horse and looked around, started. His horse was gone. He double-checked his spot, noting the streambed lined with hoof prints, the periodic rocks he had jumped, and the full forest in front of I'm. He kicked the ground in frustration. No, he had lost his horse too. Could matters get any worse?

 Invisible eyes weighed on him. His knight training kicked in; his hands strayed to his sword hilt nonchalantly, hiding his readiness. If someone attacked, he would be prepared. To his dismay, nothing happened.

The wind tickled his neck and the rustling trees teased his ears. A sudden wave of lightheartedness rolled over him, knocking him to his knees. Trying to regain his balance, Jack leaned against a tree, letting go of his sword. Beneath the reach, something warm nuzzled him. Jack froze. The emptiness around him turned into a crowd. Surrounding him, a group of moss caped, small, stone-skinned things stood, holding the reins to his horse.

Fear filled every inch of his body. He desperately tried to free his sword, but his arm refused to listen to him. He looked closer at their green moss cloaks and their coloured crystal necklaces hanging around their necks and recognised them. He knew that he couldn't win. The trolls had found him.

"Please," Jack begged, "please help me. I need to find the princess."   

The trolls convened together, leaving Jack in silence. He waited as they decided what to do neck. A gust of wind blew through the trees around them, and some of the trolls started to nod as if they had heard some sort of answer. Jack sat still on the ground. The trolls all gathered together, whispering and looking over at him. One of the trolls stepped forward. 

"We will help you," he said, turning to disappear into the thick forest.

A young troll, trying to appear older and useful, grabbed the reins of Jack's horse. His small hands his inside the long sleeves of his shirt.

Jack found himself following through the forest. Trolls surrounded him, enclosing him in a circle of green. His fear disappeared into hope. He didn't know exactly what they knew, or what they could do to help, but they seemed willing to try. That was good enough for him.