Dragon's Gate: Chapter Seventeen

Epilogue: Six Months Later

The crowd held their breath as King Hiccup paced around the throne room. The newest of his knights knelt on the hard stone floor, their faces stoic as their eyes focused on the red banners behind the throne. The hall was quiet except for the booming echoes of his steps. Hiccup held his smile as they trembled under his gaze.

The golden dragon emblem resting on top of the throne reflected the midday light, creating a spotlight where the king stood.

"Men," he began. "There are expectations that I have for you, there are expectations that the kingdom has of you, and there should be expectations to which you hold yourself. This is a time of change, and together, we will change history. Our history glorifies what we have obtained by greed. I charge us to see what type of legacy we can leave as we build with love. There will be trials, but there will also be joy and celebration. As our brave new knights, I charge you with defending this kingdom, its people, and its honour."

Hiccup walked forward and placed the tip of his sword on each man's shoulders, completing the ceremony and welcoming the new knights to service. The crowd cheered as the first round of ceremony and tradition returned to their kingdom. Metal on metal rang out as the knights smacked forearms and hugged in congratulations. Their laughter reverberated off the stained glass windows. King Hiccup sat on the throne, letting the warmth of the noise fill him.

After the tumultuous spring, Hiccup made it his first order of business to rebuild, bringing back the traditions of fun and festivities. The summer tournaments arrived without a hitch, and the fall festival reaped a bountiful harvest for their farmers and merchants. Under King Hiccup's leadership, prosperity and peace reigned.

Elsa leaned over the curved bannister on the balcony, tightening her lips as a crisp breeze blew through her hair. Even with her thick velvet gown, small bumps rose on her arms and shivers ran down her spine. She was adjusting to the northern weather, but the extreme seasons still surprised her.

Evenings were her favourite time at Dragon's Gate. After the long day of studies, meeting with merchants and working with their builders, evenings allowed a break; a luxury limited by the duties of leadership. Each night as the sun set, Elsa watched the growing family of dragons swoop beneath the arch, their dark bodies silhouetted against the backdrop of the red mountains.

From the edge of her balcony, she saw it all. On one side, just beyond the palace walls, the construction had begun on their tournament grounds. Tall stacks of lumber and joists leaned against the finished rock foundation. They didn't need much but still wanted to offer local markets, seasonal fairs, and training facilities for their knights. The castle itself continued to be a work in progress. The lower halls and outer structures had already been finished, an artful combination of the red rocks from the region and speciality wood from the forest. But it was still just beginning.

Below their balcony, in the centre of the courtyard, stood the gardens, perfect copies of the ones in Arendelle. Tall walls of junipers lined the outer edge, bursting with small blueberries. A stone fountain splashed in the centre, and along the edges, white roses and the jewelled wildflowers of the region bloomed.

In every inch of her courtyard, the smell of flowers, the soft melody of flowing water, and the craftsmanship of the stone design work harmonised together. Princess Elsa and Prince Jack had named their palace Hope, and hope was provided to any who walked the garden.

At this time of the evening, as the sun dipped below the Dragon's Gate arch, small rainbows broke through the fountain mist. A content smile crossed her face. The wind blew, and the spicy scent of the junipers reached her.

A deep voice interrupted her trance. "It's not much yet, but it will be. You love this view, don't you?" Jack asked as he leaned onto the balcony next to her.

Elsa smiled. "You know I do. My favourite part, though," she pointed below, "is the fountain. My mother used to say, 'All the answers you'll ever need are in a rainbow.' That somehow the magic of a rainbow will make your dreams come true." She sighed and leaned back into his arms. 

"Jack, I really think she was right. All my dreams have come true."

He looked at her and smiled. "I don't need a rainbow to tell me that. I just need to look at you." He pulled her close for a tender kiss.

And they lived happily ever after. 

The End